Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Post by pango »

I also think it's part of gameplay. As I explained before, it can cause a break in player's town-dungeon-town routine, unless you're ready to go to your next dungeon with a temporary lesser weapon, or until you can afford (and can find) two copies of your favorite weapon. And even then you have to go take back your repaired weapon, so you still have to schedule that with your other current matters.
{Actually do (non-magic) armors wear in classic? I don't think I ever repaired any, but maybe that was the released I played. I find it a bit sad}.

I could be biased from playing classic, I hear you when you say you'd better do without this mechanic, it's also a matter of taste; but I think that mechanic blends well with the "adventurer's life simulator" feeling of the game, and find it more immersive.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 pm I also think it's part of gameplay. As I explained before, it can cause a break in player's town-dungeon-town routine, unless you're ready to go to your next dungeon with a temporary lesser weapon, or until you can afford (and can find) two copies of your favorite weapon. And even then you have to go take back your repaired weapon, so you still have to schedule that with your other current matters.
{Actually do (non-magic) armors wear in classic? I don't think I ever repaired any, but maybe that was the released I played. I find it a bit sad}.

I could be biased from playing classic, I hear you when you say you'd better do without this mechanic, it's also a matter of taste; but I think that mechanic blends well with the "adventurer's life simulator" feeling of the game, and find it more immersive.
It just sucks when each dungeon requires 3 bows which you then have to wait to be repaired. :) Anyway, my apologies for not including your vote Pango. :oops:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 pm It just sucks when each dungeon requires 3 bows which you then have to wait to be repaired. :) Anyway, my apologies for not including your vote Pango. :oops:
I don't think I ever played a class whose primary weapon skill was archery, so that could very well be a factor. Swords and axes, in my experience, can withstand several dungeons in a row with no problem.

Maybe there's some game balancing issue, bows being too brittle (even if it improves with better materials, if I remember correctly), or too slow to repair (maybe breaking bows are so common that shops always have spares?). Or maybe you should be able to repair them on your own. I don't know.

Repair time could also be an option... except in this case it would still have to be implemented :/.
Last edited by pango on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I'd actually like to see the repair window further simplified. Instant repairs don't need to show the item being unequipped/moved into the merchant's inventory. Closing the window with a "done" item in the merchant's inventory is awkward, since the item just auto transfers back into yours anyway.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

I would like to have all classic features eventually, but that's mostly just for completion's sake. Having instant repairs remain available as an option sounds like a good idea.
I'd actually like to see the repair window further simplified. Instant repairs don't need to show the item being unequipped/moved into the merchant's inventory. Closing the window with a "done" item in the merchant's inventory is awkward, since the item just auto transfers back into yours anyway.
Seeing the item in the merchant inventory with "done" probably makes more sense when the repairs take time. You wait a while, come back and see the item marked with "done" in the merchant's inventory.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Definitely thinking that I'll implement this. DFU should be able to give someone a classic experience.

One thing that would be helpful is a classic save with some stuff being repaired. I can do this myself, but if someone wanted to save me the time & trouble... I wouldn't say no. :)

I'm thinking that the other items list in playerEntity may have been intended for this, anyone recall?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

That's the least I can do :)

There, a save with a daedric war hammer that will take 7 days to repair.
Attachments
Classic SAVE3.zip
(163.64 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:33 pm7 days to repair.
So if you need your equipment for quests, you pretty much have to sleep for 7 days... What were they thinking? Maybe they should've made healing wounds take 7 days while they're at it.

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 pm So if you need your equipment for quests, you pretty much have to sleep for 7 days... What were they thinking? Maybe they should've made healing wounds take 7 days while they're at it.
That's a high end weapon in used state, it takes a while... Got 10 others in my wagon
-- Charles Goodhart