Dev build/Linux: enemies can agro each other thru walls [RESOLVED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: enemies can agro each other thru walls [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

If I'm not mistaken, enemies of different factions can fight one another when EnemyInfighting = True
I just found an atronach and a human (a battlemage I assume) both stuck in the corners of two adjacent rooms, most likely trying to kill one another.

It also happens at times in the upper part of Daggerfall's throne room, sometimes all the royal guards and battlemages flock against the rear wall, most likely trying to attack a monster in a room in the back.
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(338.11 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Prester Lewin

Re: Dev build/Linux: enemies can agro each other thru walls

Post by Prester Lewin »

Yes, I agree it happens a lot. It's been there ever since this option was introduced (and i clicked on it :) ). The AI will often let me walk up and hit one of them before it reacts to my presence and breaks off the mutual hostility. I've even seen them do it when the 2 enemies were close to a door that connected the 2 small rooms, so you would hope the AI of a humanoid could deal with that. If it can't, maybe they should time out after a short time and leave each other alone.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

In response to the 3 issues:

1. Enemies can aggro through walls
Details aside, the fact that this can happen is intentional. It's also in classic, although there it will be enemies aggroing against the player, although it should also happen between AI if you have a summoned ally. It happens when the searching AI wins a stealth roll against another AI/player. It might not match classic exactly and might need tweaking, but I'm not aware of any problems with it, other than realism stuff.

2. Enemies walking against walls
A PR just got accepted for simple obstacle avoidance that should also keep AI from walking in place against walls, although they can still end up futilely wandering around back and forth. So hopefully this is no longer an issue.

3. Guards in Daggerfall throne room aggroing
I didn't realize this was happening but confirmed it in testing. Probably we can fix this by disabling the stealth check for guards.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

This is fixed. (Aggroing through walls itself is intentional, walking against walls as described here shouldn't be much of an issue now, guards aggroing from the throne room is fixed)