[ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/Linux: rappel down from edged roof unreliable outcome [RESOLVED 0.10.23]

pango

[ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/Linux: rappel down from edged roof unreliable outcome [RESOLVED 0.10.23]

Post by pango »

With Advanced climbing on, once you climbed on top of a roof with edges (as described before: climb the wall, hang below edge, give a tap backward to climb on top of the roof), you can try to rappel down. However you can get different results depending on when you stop pressing backward key (and luck):
- good outcome: you can find yourself just below the edge, usually hanging below it;
- you can get stuck inside the roof. It happens rather reliably if you keep the backward key pressed, but it may also happen if you relax the key almost immediately after Rappel mode message appears;
- "try again" outcome: you start to rappel down, then climb up on top of the roof again;
- if you relax the key at the right time, when you're about the same height as roof border, there's some probability that you'll start floating upward "forever". It looks like a variant of previous case, but while climbing up you lose contact with the roof.
Attachments
SAVE180.zip
(367.81 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Re: [ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/Linux: rappel down from edged roof unreliable outcome

Post by mikeprichard »

Pango's posted several of these advanced climbing-related issues over the months, but it looks like this one largely summarizes several others. Sorry if this isn't helpful - I'll stop spamming the forum now, but just trying to do my little part to help consolidate the remaining bug reports. :)

Interkarma

Re: [ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/Linux: rappel down from edged roof unreliable outcome

Post by Interkarma »

Pango, this should be resolved by changes in live code now. Are you still able to reproduce these?

pango

Post by pango »

I'm not sure it's the exact same bug, but I can still levitate forever with development version;
If I rappel down the ledge while keeping backward key pressed, my character does some kind of loop (up, backward, down and finally slightly forward again), and if I release the backward key near the completion of the loop I start floating away forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE7BSrMmRH0&t=35

PS I forgot that in my save I had to move a bit to the left so as to not be above a wall; It's very easy to start flying if you try rappelling down then.

I also reproduced the case where I got stuck inside the ledge too, but have no video recording of it.
But those two cases at least still exist.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the video. I'll see what I can do to resolve this one as well. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've pushed a change to make rappel mode a bit more selective about when it should be allowed. You can no longer rappel down into empty space and it will not oscillate between climbing and rappel in same physics update. I believe this fixes the above issues.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... be6030014e

The only bit of weirdness I'm able to produce now is that rappelling down into empty space might eject player slightly backwards rather than falling straight down. It's not bad though, and definitely better than getting stuck in geometry or floating away!

This should be a fairly low impact change, as it's just adding a couple of extra sanity checks before starting rappel mode. Let me know how you go. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

After a couple of days, I'm fairly happy with the rappel behaviour scheduled for 0.10.23. I'll close this one for now and will reopen another report if a new issue is discovered.