[PreAlpha 0.7.65 win64] - Died after falling unconscious with only a dead enemy nearby [CLOSED]

jayhova

[PreAlpha 0.7.65 win64] - Died after falling unconscious with only a dead enemy nearby [CLOSED]

Post by jayhova »

In the latest build I got the typical guard me against an assassin who will appear between 9 & midnight. On these quests the door always seems to be locked. I always pick it.

Upon walking in I get the this is the right place message as expected. I head up to the attic and wait. I feel like I should be able to sleep there as I am there to guard this guy. Sure enough the assassin and gives the expected leave or die message. I fight the guy and win. He's dead, fallen to the bottom of the ladder. Suddenly I get the "You feel somewhat bad" message and pass out from exhaustion. Then a weird thing happens. I get eaten by wandering monsters. Wait!! What? Yep. Seems like if you pass out in a house it's treated like a dungeon. Not sure how this works in classic but it does not seem right the a house with no monsters in it should result in your death.

Unfortunately, I have no save game to reference because it was just a quick town quest.
Last edited by jayhova on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Re: weird result of falling unconscious

Post by Interkarma »

The house wasn't being treated as a dungeon, that's not how the mechanic works. If you pass out from exhaustion when hostile enemies are nearby, it's considered a death.

The most likely cause here was a another enemy nearby. It's also possible the previously deceased enemy was enough to trigger mechanic, which would be considered a bug. But I would need a save game to see exactly what happened. I'll leave this one open until I take a closer look.

Please always include the exact version number in the topic title of bug reports, along with a clear non-generic description of problem encountered. I'm going to be a lot more strict about this in future and move out bug reports that don't list their version. Check out "Providing Good Feedback" section in Bug Report Guidelines. Thank you. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If it's one of my quests (and it sounds like it is), there are 3 assassins. If you only beat one, you still had a ways to go :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay. It sounds like that poor character had their throat slit while laying passed out on the floor by one of the other two assassins then. A bad day in Tamriel. :)

jayhova

Re: weird result of falling unconscious [PreAlpha 0.7.65 win64]

Post by jayhova »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 pm If it's one of my quests (and it sounds like it is), there are 3 assassins. If you only beat one, you still had a ways to go :)
It's not. It's a vanilla quest because I have not installed any other quests. Unless I am mistaken and you have quests built in to an unmodded DFU.

Having run this quest before I only recall the one assassin. It happened quite quickly but I think I got a quest completion message right before I passed out.

Interkarma

Re: [PreAlpha 0.7.65 win64] - Died after falling unconscious with only a dead enemy nearby

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the update. :)

I'll treat this as a bug with enemy detection triggering mechanic from a dead enemy for now. I'll reproduce and confirm when I can.

Jay_H

Re: [PreAlpha 0.7.65 win64] - Died after falling unconscious with only a dead enemy nearby

Post by Jay_H »

Just checked the classic quest: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Bodyguard. Indeed, I forgot this existed; I made nearly a duplicate in my ignorance.

Still, UESP details it:
Two Assassins (25% chance) once you enter your employer's house between 21:00 and 00:00
If the assassins don't show up until midnight, and this occurs with a 75% chance, the quest can not be completed successfully since it requires the death of both assassins. You can either accept this circumstance and leave, or reload a save before you entered your employer's house and keep trying until the assassins have shown up.
There'll be two assassins in the classic version.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Jay, appreciate the detective work. :)

For my part, I'll just confirm that a dead enemy can't trigger the mechanic. I don't think it can, but it's worth double-checking anyway.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It was frustrating that I did not have a save. I was lax in my reporting the issue mostly because I did not know what could be done. I was trying to just make you aware that I had run into this issue. BTW I noticed that when I downloaded the latest version it had the same file name as the previous version. Even so the two file were different file sizes. Were it not for windows appending the new one with a (1) I would have had to look at the date codes on the download.

My falling unconscious happened within just a couple of seconds of killing the guy and I'm pretty sure I did see a quest popup after. It may be that the conditions had not cleared when I collapsed. It may have just been a weird fluke that will be hard to reproduce. I think it was a good idea to remove the level cap so your DFU coding skills could reach the 110 they are at now. :-)