0.7.91: Unfriendly and ignorant town people [RESOLVED]

Ferital

0.7.91: Unfriendly and ignorant town people [RESOLVED]

Post by Ferital »

When compared to classic, town people in DFU are much more unfriendly and ignorant when asked for any kind of information: news, tips about an organization, building and people locations. This, even if you have a reputation of 100 with "People of (current country)" and if your legal status is "revered".

Therefore, it can take quite some time to find a person who actually knows where a building is located. Whereas in classic, it is rather easy to gather information, it feels also more logical: people should know about there own town or country, after all.
Ignorant NPC.PNG
Ignorant NPC.PNG (223.47 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Ignorant NPC 2.PNG
Ignorant NPC 2.PNG (181.67 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

Jay_H

Re: 0.7.91: Unfriendly and ignorant town people

Post by Jay_H »

What's your Personality stat?

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

It's 100, I used the Ming savegame from the UESP, a very high level character with all stats maxed out.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I've noticed the same sort of thing. I have a middling reputation and personality and have noticed a tendency pf people to be mean.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

SlainByWoodborne

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

I have also noticed this; generally speaking, it takes an inordinate amount townsfolk to find a building in a town with only a tavern and about ten houses. Especially in small towns, I've taken to using "Info" mode to identify quest buildings and avoid having to speak with the townsfolk.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've looked into this one. Disregarding NPC reaction to player, they have a 50% chance of knowing where a building is. This is probably fine in a large city but it's less likely in a small town where most everyone should know the local tavern or smith.

I've made a minor change that increases the chance an NPC knows where a building is as the town area decreases. So the smaller a town, the more likely the NPC will know about it. For a 1x1 block town they will have a 99% chance to know about the building. If they still don't know, they're probably the village idiot. :) In a max-size 8x8 city like Daggerfall/Wayrest/Sentinel, the chance remains at 50%.

Note: This only affects "where is" questions at this time.

pango

Re: 0.7.91: Unfriendly and ignorant town people [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

It fixes problem commoners not knowing places, but they still behave like jerks (maybe with low level characters? It's pretty clear say on CharmedBaryon streams that does permadeath runs of Daggerfall Unity), specially if you ask "tell me about..." kind of questions...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

CharmedBaryon

Post by CharmedBaryon »

We indeed see this a lot in my streams. Characters with high personality and no bad reputation get angry responses to most "Tell me about..." inquiries. It seems the location questions get typically friendlier responses. Even factions I am a member of and have completed quests for will curse the player, mock them by telling them they know but won't tell, etc. when asked about something, as if the reputation with the NPC is quite negative.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yep, this is not resolved imho

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Concur
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.