0.7.91: A single building by two names [RESOLVED]

SlainByWoodborne

0.7.91: A single building by two names [RESOLVED]

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

DFU_Win_x64_0.7.91

Description:
In the course of completing "Stronghold of the Blades", in the town I met the agent of the Underking, the building's name on the local map and for the quest differ; the former being "The Order of Arkay" and the latter being "The Ashcroft Residence". I found a similar topic (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1579) discussing buildings being assigned multiple residence names but not where it names a residence as a temple. Also, in the attached image of the local map, there is another residence which is mistaken for an inn ("The Lynx and Goat").

Conversely, I've seen a few instances of inns or merchant complete with requisite signage being treated merely as residences. It's odd since when entered, the NPCs are exactly those that you would find in an inn or merchant. I will try to remember to get some screens the next time I encounter it.
Attachments
Building_names_SAVE26.7z
(159.76 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Building_names_images.7z
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 81 times

pango

Re: 0.7.91: A single building by two names

Post by pango »

SlainByWoodborne wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:09 pm Conversely, I've seen a few instances of inns or merchant complete with requisite signage being treated merely as residences. It's odd since when entered, the NPCs are exactly those that you would find in an inn or merchant. I will try to remember to get some screens the next time I encounter it.
The latter is likely "tavern marked as residence"; Since it's game-data related, it will be difficult to fix.

I'm not sure about the former, could it be the same problem, but "reversed", when a standard residence is marked as a guild?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

pango wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 pm That one is likely "tavern marked as residence"; Since it's game-data related, it will be difficult to fix.
Yes, that is the gist of it. I didn't recall having seen this in previous play-throughs but I've been seeing things quite differently this time through. :)

pango

Post by pango »

The name of the place is "The Toad and Sword Lodge" in Sentinel.
Buildings show up correctly as The Thirsty Hedgehog inn and two regular residences in Daggerfall classic:
The Toad and Sword Lodge, Sentinel.jpg
The Toad and Sword Lodge, Sentinel.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Went there in Daggerfall Unity (dev build) with another character, and everything looks fine, an inn and two nameless residences too.
So I assume that must be the quest messing up things?
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for report and saves. :)

I noticed the building in first save has three names:
  1. On exterior automap, building displays as "The Order of Arkay". This is not a guild building however. Possibly bad game data or more likely some parsing problem in DFU's end.
  2. An info click on the building displays it as "The Masterfield Residence".
  3. Quest debugger displays as "The Ashhouse Residence".
I note there's two instances of A0C41Y18 running in quest machine. Most likely this has caused some confusion or overlap. I'll create some fixes around this next time I do a pass over quest system.

The second save sounds like the block with a tavern building marked as a residence in game data as Pango mentioned. One approach to fixing this could be a run-time patch on the game data - either like Ferital does with the UV coordinates in ARCH3D.BSA, or as Hazelnut does with Archaeologists.

pango

Post by pango »

Could some of those issues be explained by buildingKey indexing?
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've merged a change that will filter quest buildings already assigned to another quest. Let's see how this one goes after next builds.