[ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/LInux: climbing state not restored by saving/reloading [RESOLVED 0.10.23]

pango

[ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/LInux: climbing state not restored by saving/reloading [RESOLVED 0.10.23]

Post by pango »

If you create a gamesave while hanging from a wall or a ceiling, you may be in for a surprise when reloading because you'll be falling immediately, in some cases to your death if you have no levitation or slowfalling.
The only way out if you really must use that save is to use console commands.
(There may be an extra corner case if you try reloading after disabling Advanced Climbing; But let's assume game is reloaded with similar options).

This can be tested just about anywhere, attached gamesave is near the top of a dungeon shaft.
Attachments
SAVE218.zip
(292.6 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Re: Dev build/LInux: climbing state not restored by saving/reloading

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hmmm. Anything that requires a key to be held down is going to stop when you load a save. That seems normal.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I know that, at least with the Advanced Climbing System, you grip to the wall without button presses once climbing mode activates. This does indeed fail when reloading, which can be extremely dangerous.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I also know that in classic climbing (both classic and DFU), the moment you hit esc to save, you drop, so you'd be saving in mid-air. In other words, it's only possible to save in the usual climb mode via quicksaving in DFU.

As for advanced climb mode, yeah, there is no held key, so it's possible to save while climbing, so you'd figure that IsClimbing would be a status that would be saved and restored.

JorisVanEijden

Re: [ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/LInux: climbing state not restored by saving/reloading

Post by JorisVanEijden »

I took a stab at it and saving and loading the IsClimbing state is real easy.
Unfortunately at the first few climbing checks the player's capsule collider is not touching the walls yet so climbing is immediately deactivated and you start falling.

If someone knows from the top of their heads why this is I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'll take another stab at it later on.

The easiest "fix" might be to disallow saving when climbing :)

pango

Re: [ADVANCED CLIMBING] Dev build/LInux: climbing state not restored by saving/reloading

Post by pango »

JorisVanEijden wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:45 pm The easiest "fix" might be to disallow saving when climbing :)
Saw a streamer ruin his quicksave that way. I was around so I saved the day by suggestion "tgm", but I'm really thinking that, unless saving/restoring climbing state is not too difficult to get right, then prevent saving while climbing would be a very good workaround.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This was the next advanced climbing issue I was going to look at. Once this one is solved, climbing should be reasonable stable.

pango

Post by pango »

In case it proves too tricky, or if it can buy you some time, I wrote the workaround that I described above:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... e-climbing
-- Charles Goodhart