Win_x64 0.7.91 - Gameplay Issue - Language skills don't level up passively [NOT REPRODUCED]

SharkClub

Win_x64 0.7.91 - Gameplay Issue - Language skills don't level up passively [NOT REPRODUCED]

Post by SharkClub »

First off, I've searched around the forum in various areas looking for mentions of the language skills to see if anyone had mentioned anything like this. I also checked back at all of the patch notes since the language skills were implemented and couldn't see any reference to their ability to level up.

I've been messing around with a character for the past week with all of the language skills (including Streetwise & Etiquette) as my primary/major/minor skills and I've noticed that no matter what I do I can't level up the language skills without going to a trainer and paying for it. In Classic I distinctly remember just levelling up random language skills every so often without effort (even after failed rolls, I'd guess, because I never bothered with them before and the chance to pacify a creature is very low without investing in them specifically, but I'm not entirely sure about this), and in Unity I'm actually putting in the effort and it just doesn't happen.

Things to note:
Streetwise & Etiquette DO level up occasionally after a successful pacification of a human enemy/without being in town and talking to NPCs so no chance for me to mistake that
Creature Language skills (Orcish, Spriggan, Giantish, Nymph, Impish, etc.) don't level up no matter how many enemies I manage to pacify with them
I can level up creature language skills at the trainers as I mentioned, but once they're at 51% (trainer cap) they never move from there because I can't level them up otherwise.

At first I thought maybe it was something to do with my install, I think I was using Andyfall in my old Daggerfall directory before I aimed Unity at that directory - but then I uninstalled Daggerfall and used DaggerfallSetup to get myself a fresh install and aimed Unity at that. With a brand new character running in and out of Privateer's Hold pacifying the imp over and over in that room I couldn't get the Impish skill to level up after many, many attempts followed by 6 hour rests outside.

I'm guessing since language skills aren't exactly a popular way to play nobody noticed this? Or even with a fresh DaggerfallSetup install my game is somehow broken. Maybe someone else can test on the Imp in the final room in Privateer's Hold and confirm it for me. I'm not using Archaeologists Mod or whatever that is (have seen it referenced in association with language skills in certain threads).

Interkarma

Re: Win_x64 0.7.91 - Gameplay Issue - Language skills don't level up passively

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

I just had a look through the code and language tallies are definitely being applied at time of use. If these never result in a skill-up, there could be a downstream issue somewhere in the skill system. Someone will take a look when we can. Thanks for report.

SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

Well if it does turn out to be a bug for more than just me I hope it's an easy fix. Thanks to you and your buds for all your hard work on DU.

SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

I've met some inconsistency with this now. I made yet another new character today that has the Orcish skill as a primary skill and did manage to get a single Orcish skill-up even though I haven't had nearly as many orc pacifications as the first linguist character I mentioned, let alone as many encounters with orcs in general. After this I thought I was crazy so I went back to that testing character outside Privateer's Hold and pacified the Imp another 10 times and still no Impish skill-ups.

I'm really not sure what's going on here and what language skills it affects or if the requirement for a skill-up changes vastly depending on character stats.

The only noticeable differences I can think of between the new one with Orcish that did gain an Orcish skill-up and my previous linguist are:
  • "Orcish skill-up guy" has horrendously low INT & PER stats, whereas the linguist has very high INT & PER stats, and INT being the governing stat for most language skills may play into it (in a backwards fashion?)
  • With "Orcish skill-up guy" I would kill the orcs after pacifying them when it did happen, but with the linguist I wouldn't touch them after pacifying them the vast majority of the time - could this be a factor?
  • With "Orcish skill-up" guy I hadn't used a trainer to raise the Orcish skill prior to the skill-up happening, but with the linguist I had used trainers to raise various language skills at least a little bit before I noticed that I wasn't experiencing any natural passive skill-ups from running around pacifying things in every dungeon.
All three characters (Linguist, Orcish guy and Imp tester) are on the Very High Reflex setting and towards the bottom of the hp scale red bars thing in character creation that determines ease of levelling.

There's some odd behavior here that I'm not sure I fully understand, could I ask for some clarification on how often language skill-ups are meant to occur to your knowledge or if there is a heavy variance programmed in somewhere for this system? Sorry to be a bother if this just turns out to be me going crazy (like I'm worried is true now), but it does seem to be very random and confusing if it isn't actually a bug.

Timmuborgir

Post by Timmuborgir »

I would like to know this also. My StreetWise has increased by 1, don't know how. My giantish increased by 1 after 1 dungeon. I just stealth and melee.