Win_x64_0.7.91: Character reset to 'Nameless' mage [RESOLVED]

BansheeXYZ

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Character reset to 'Nameless' mage [NEEDS MORE INFORMATION]

Post by BansheeXYZ »

jayhova wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:24 pmHopefully someone else will be able to reproduce this.
I followed your steps and got the bug. This is good, we may finally see this bug squashed.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am
jayhova wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:24 pmHopefully someone else will be able to reproduce this.
I followed your steps and got the bug. This is good, we may finally see this bug squashed.
To dream the impossible dream, To fight the unbeatable foe, to reproduce the irreproducible bug.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the save jayhova. This is one of those bugs. :)

Some might find it interesting to know the "nameless" character is the default empty state before a character is created or loaded. So if the end user sees "nameless" (which is me referring to this guy as he's also the vessel of your next adventures) it means the save didn't load properly. Hopefully not too many ways this can happen. I'll work through your repro and fix this case up soon. I'll leave the bug report open for a while though in case there are other causes still to be found.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just some tighter information on how to reproduce jayhova's specific issue:
  1. Create a save outside
  2. Die inside a building somewhere
  3. Wait for death movie to play and game to return to main menu (this part is important)
  4. Load exterior save created in step 1
This reproduces black screen and "nameless" character each time. The core issue a transition to exterior event being fired after scene has already been cleaned up. It's a very easy fix to prevent this specific crash, just the combination of events was very specific to reproduce. I've merged a fix to prevent this now.

Hopefully we'll be able to put this bug to rest soon. Thanks jayhova! :)

BansheeXYZ

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Character reset to 'Nameless' mage

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nice. Does anyone have any time soon to move all the resolved bugs? There are quite a few built up now, hard to see the unresolved ones.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I could move them, but I usually don't until I see some verification that a submitted fix worked. I'm happy to change that policy as is helpful :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm planning to work through them before end of month as I write up change article.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:30 pm Just some tighter information on how to reproduce jayhova's specific issue:
  1. Create a save outside
  2. Die inside a building somewhere
  3. Wait for death movie to play and game to return to main menu (this part is important)
  4. Load exterior save created in step 1
This reproduces black screen and "nameless" character each time. The core issue a transition to exterior event being fired after scene has already been cleaned up. It's a very easy fix to prevent this specific crash, just the combination of events was very specific to reproduce. I've merged a fix to prevent this now.

Hopefully we'll be able to put this bug to rest soon. Thanks jayhova! :)
I'm glad I could help. I imagine this will keep popping up but hopefully this particular version will be squashed.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Character reset to 'Nameless' mage [Fix in June builds, open until bug confirmed fixed]

Post by Interkarma »

Marking this as resolved for now. Will revisit if/when another case becomes known with steps to reproduce.