Win 64 0.7.149 N0B10Y03 Quest giver non-responsive [NOT REPRODUCED]

jayhova

Win 64 0.7.149 N0B10Y03 Quest giver non-responsive [NOT REPRODUCED]

Post by jayhova »

In this Mages guild quest, I had to pick the lock to get into the guild to start the quest at midnight. Of course this means that no one was there. I did the quest and then returned the next day. When I did so the quest giver did not respond. This quest does work fine if the PC is there before the guild closes and clicks the quest giver immediately after the quest.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

jayhova

Re: Win 64 0.7.149 N0B10Y03 Quest giver non-responsive

Post by jayhova »

The quest might be bugged by the fact that I did not return within the 24hr period after the quest was given. That should not be an issue as the quest started at midnight and ran until 03:00. I returned during normal business hours the next day.

There is a problem with quests like this. If your shift starts at Midnight and you show up at 11:30 PM the door will be locked and you will not be able to get in without breaking in. Clearly if you arrive at 10:30 PM the guild will be open and will remain open as long as you are there. I suggest that it would be better if places remained unlocked and open for the purposes of quests until the quest is completed. I also suggest the loitering be unlocked until the quest is done. If you continue to loiter past closing (or the end of the quest) you get a message "You may no longer loiter here as %macro is closing."

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think someone said that in classic quest givers are allways there if you have an active quest with them. If someone can check and confirm then that means my implementation need changing to match classic.

May also be worth checking classic behaviour for locks on guilds with active quests.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm I think someone said that in classic quest givers are allways there if you have an active quest with them. If someone can check and confirm then that means my implementation need changing to match classic.
That was Zhakaron during one of his streams
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm I think someone said that in classic quest givers are allways there if you have an active quest with them. If someone can check and confirm then that means my implementation need changing to match classic.

May also be worth checking classic behaviour for locks on guilds with active quests.
I was thinking about locks on quest buildings just the other day. I couldn't recall how classic handled this and have been meaning to check across a few quests when I had time. It's fairly easy to unlock a building with an active quest, just need to check site links when doing door activation check and bypass lock.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm I think someone said that in classic quest givers are always there if you have an active quest with them. If someone can check and confirm then that means my implementation need changing to match classic.

I was hoping one of the keen non-programmers around here would investigate this. (hint,hint :D)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm glad I went to check this! I had this totally backwards in my mind!

1. Guilds close at 11 PM, but this video was taken at 11:08 PM. (Afterwards I loitered to midnight and the info below stayed true.)
2. The building was unlocked.
3. The NPCs inside were all present and responsive.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

More to the point of this topic, I tested the following questions.

1. Will a questgiver, for a building that ordinarily stays closed at night, stay inside?

Answer: Yes, even if the building is locked.

Note the missing banker type, who would be here during business hours.

2. Will the questgiver engage in ordinary conversation?

Answer: Yes. I got both the "Talk/Sell" prompt from this one, and got the conversation window.

I should note that this quest is one with a victory condition of "toting," so the ordinary questgiver silence wouldn't apply here.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Jay!

I definitely got this wrong when implemented it. Will correct soon, possibly not this w/e though since we have both grandkids (under 5) coming over to stay.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

In a somewhat unrelated topic I have noticed that if I am in a building (Let's say the mage's guild) and the building is populated and it is after hours and I save, when I reload, the building will be empty. In theory this could be used as an exploit to save in a store after hours and then reload and steal everything.