0.10.7 - Wrong residence name [RESOLVED]

Yagiza

0.10.7 - Wrong residence name [RESOLVED]

Post by Yagiza »

Hello!

When I ask a commoner about whereabouts of a quest person in a local house, if the commoner can/wish to answer, first time they mention a wrong residence name. No matter how many times I ask them. Even when they mark the residence on the map, they say wrong name, but mark it on the map with correct name.
Once I end dialogue with GOODBYE button, then start talking again, they say correct name of the residence, no matter, if I ask the same or different person.

JorisVanEijden

Re: Wrong residence name

Post by JorisVanEijden »

I have tested a little bit and did not reproduce the issue.
Do you happen to have a save game where this issue occurs?

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

JorisVanEijden wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 pm I have tested a little bit and did not reproduce the issue.
Do you happen to have a save game where this issue occurs?
Yes. I just wrote a simple test qest for the issue.
This quest contains only 2 NPCs (questor and the one, you need to ask people about).
The quest source code is also here. I don't know if you need it for the test. If so, just replace original Mages Guild test with the file from archive.

All you need for test is load save game and Ask about location of the NPC, you're looking for (Morgorya Hearthford). She is in The Buckingham Residence, but the first person you meet on the street, whi will agree to answer you, will tell that she is in The Kingsmith Residence!
But when you ask them again, they will give correct answer: The Buckingham Residence.
More interesting: once you enter The Buckingham Residence, its inhabitant Andistair Hearthford will always tell that Morgorya Hearthford is in The Kingsmith Residence, no matter, how many times you ask him. The people from the other buildings in the town will answer correctly: The Buckingham Residence. Only inhabitants if the residence, where target NPC is, always tell wrong residence name.
Attachments
SAVE31.ZIP
Saved game
(261.44 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
N0C00Y13.zip
Quest script
(924 Bytes) Downloaded 102 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Your quest has a few issues. First of all, remove "create npc" from the mix below. It doesn't do what you think, and you don't need to use it here. All you need to use is "place npc".
create npc at _residence_
place npc _resident_ at _residence_
Second, clicking the questor after accepting the quest will end the quest immediately. You'll need some additional victory/failure checks to prevent this from happening.

I'll move this to Quest Hub, as it's related to writing custom quests.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I reproduce the error Yagiza explained using the test quest. Then I commented out the "create npc at" thing and it still happens, so that's ruled out. Odd bug.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

"create npc at" seems to be polluting the site marker pool, which isn't being cleared by just ending and restarting quest. First edit out "create npc at" and restart the game before starting the modified quest again. This works for me, Jay.

I'm going to declaw "create npc at" now. It's a nonsense action implemented only for compatibility with quests decompiled from classic where TEMPLATE adds its. Modern DFU quests don't need to use it, and it's behaviour is generally undefined.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Clever stuff. Thanks Interkarma :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've fixed the marker pollution, but I am still seeing a difference between residence name when asking about Person vs asking about a Place.

I'll move this one to bug reports so I can look into the second issue later.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just tried it with the create npc commented out, but I still got the bug after a few repetitions in conversation. I'll trust you've got it under control :D

EDIT: Looks like that's what you just said. Sorry!

Interkarma

Re: 0.10.7 - Wrong residence name

Post by Interkarma »

Sorry for confusion. Trust me, it's mostly on my end. :)

I think disparity is just from one system checking target location and another checking home location. Should be easy enough to fix.