0.10.13 - Statue with flames is not a light source [RESOLVED 0.10.18]

Ralzar

0.10.13 - Statue with flames is not a light source [RESOLVED 0.10.18]

Post by Ralzar »

Not sure if this constitute a bug so much as an oversight.

The 4-armed female statue holding flames is not defined as a light source. Which just seems weird.

pango

Re: Statue with flames is not a light source

Post by pango »

Light sources are defined separately from assets in dungeons definitions, so it could be a game data related issue...

Are you using Improved Lighting mod? I wonder how it could affect the whole situation
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yes, I'm using the improved lighting mod. But I thought the actual light source points were from unity. THe mod just made them look better.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

That flat is a part of Texture.202 which is a collection of statues, this is the only one that happens to have an animation and flames.

It's probably defined as normal dungeon decoration by Daggerfall's data, not as a light source.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I was thinking about making the flames emissive few days back, but that doesnt solve the issue, and Im not sure its even possible. Shoul be really a light source...

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am Yes, I'm using the improved lighting mod. But I thought the actual light source points were from unity. THe mod just made them look better.
Well, reading "Improved dungeon lighting ("vanilla" DF combines lights in close proximity - now all lights have their own individual source)" I assume it does too, or even add light sources that would be missing otherwise. Still, it changes lighting, so it would be a good idea to also check unmodded rendering, at least for reference.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Just saw this very statue in a stream using unmodded 0.10.12 (or maybe 0.10.11, last digit is cropped), and only the lower half is lit:
statue light.jpg
statue light.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
I had the same issue with fire daedra auras until I moved their light source slightly to the front.

So I suspect there's several issues here:
  • statue light source must be moved in front of the statue; It may be difficult if the statue and the light source are two unrelated objects in the dungeon block definition;
  • I guess improved lighting is incompatible with statue light source because it disables lone light sources, then use light source objects to replace them. If above change manages to tie the statue light source to the statue, it may be just work fine; or improved lighting may have to recognize this case.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

First up, we should add this to the emissiveTextures list (ln 881 of TextureReader.cs). This will give the billboard itself an emission texture automatically.

Placement of light source should be higher for this specific billboard light source, but it wont really be noticeable once its emissive. There's no need to place the light source in front of the billboard.

Pango, the same goes for your change to the illuminated daedra. Rather than reposition light source, they should be set to be emissive in the emissiveTextures array. Then they'll just appear lit from within. The light source is wicked though, don't want to lose that. :)

I'll move this to bug reports for tracking until at least the emissive property is added.

pango

Re: 0.10.13 - Statue with flames is not a light source

Post by pango »

An old bug with emissive textures is making a comeback though :(
statue emissive texture.jpg
statue emissive texture.jpg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
(I added that texture in my other PR)
Attachments
SAVE434.zip
(279.01 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: 0.10.13 - Statue with flames is not a light source

Post by pango »

Bug is back because only the textures of the Lights archive (210) are handled specifically

TextureReader.cs:282:

Code: Select all

// Lights need special handling as this archive contains a mix of emissive and non-emissive flats
                // This can cause problems with atlas packing due to mismatch between albedo and emissive texture counts
                if ((settings.createEmissionMap || settings.autoEmission) && settings.archive == LightsTextureArchive)
-- Charles Goodhart