0.10.14: High Elf is paralyzed

Ralzar

Re: 0.10.14: High Elf is paralyzed

Post by Ralzar »

How is this intended to work in practice?

I was under the impression that racial resistance/weakness was adjusted by class resistance/weakness?
Which is what would make sense? I’m not seeing why races have a seperate flag? Is this specifically so you are still able to apply class flags to the same effect?
Wouldn’t the most intuitive way to do this be simply be to have one resistance number for each effect that started at 0 and racial and class effects just added positive and negative numbers to it?

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

It's because the Spiders and Scorpions cast a spell to cause paralysis, both the Magic and Paralysis modifiers are applied.
So if you're racially immune to paralysis but weak to magic these creatures will still paralyze you.

In the case of the original poster:
The race immunity to Paralysis adds 50 to the saving throw.
The weakness to Magic subtracts 25.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I’d say the real problem then, is really that spiders are using spells to simulate something that is obvously intended to be a bite.
But there we hit the usual point of questioning to what degree DFU should copy Daggerfall or the intent of Daggerfall.

L57

Post by L57 »

To me it's pretty clear: all features that fix (almost) obvious oversights should be kept as options in advanced settings. This includes Critical Strike fix (to get it in accordance with Manual), addition the ability to ignore PC invisibility for Ancient Liches (feature that Liches have, but not Ancient ones), aura effects for Atronachs, restoration for Spriggans and so on.

And if you unflag all of these options in DFU setting, you should be able to get the pure classic Daggerfall experience as closely as possible gameplay-wise.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Has DFU now made a change to classic behavior such that spiders and scorpions no longer transmit their Paralyze effects via a Magicka-based spell, allowing standard High Elves to be immune to these critters' paralysis? If so, the "bug" report has been fixed, but the DFU wiki will need to be updated (calling Jay_H - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Dagger ... ifferences). If not, the "bug" report will still need to be addressed in some way. (I suspect there may have been changes made recently, but am not sure from reading e.g. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3590).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The bug here was that a critical weakness to Magic was compromising immunity to paralysis. This was resolved a lite while ago.