Build #107 24-Apr-18 - Crash on quest turn-in (symptom: can't rest) [RESOLVED]

Interkarma

Re: Build #107 24-Apr-18 - Crash on quest turn-in (symptom: can't rest) [RESOLVED]

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome, thanks for checking! :)

Highyena

Re: Build #107 24-Apr-18 - Crash on quest turn-in (symptom: can't rest) [RESOLVED]

Post by Highyena »

Ugh... looks like I spoke too soon. The same issue is cropping up again, but now under different conditions.

This time it happens upon turning in the Werebeast quest. The maid will give you her closing dialogue, but the quest will still be in your log. I can still rest at this point, but once I initiate the next quest down that line, "The Emperor's Courier", that's when the same issue occurs. I'm given the quest prompt, but selecting yes ends the conversation, it does not appear in my log, and I cannot heal while resting.

Something else during the previous quest - There are two notes (maybe more) laying in the dungeon that you can find. I noticed that one of the two also causes the resting bug to occur (and it also remains in your inventory even after turning in the quest). I tried turning in the quest with and without picking them up, but there was no change.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've just replayed Sx007 "The Werebeast" and was able to reproduce another game loop crash and rest problem (unrelated to %god macro issue). I was also able to find a few other issues that I've made fixes for.

The Sx007 quest in Daggerfall Unity is the greatly expanded one by Donald Tipton which relocates quest location to Betony and provides alternate means of completion. In the original version of this quest shipped by Bethesda, the player would simply kill the brother werebeast in a random dungeon in Daggerfall and return to Cyndassa. Due to magic system not being completed yet, the alternate completion method is not completeable. So I have fixed quest in the following ways:
  • Removed wereboar red herring.
  • Removed second letter I.01 that would trigger alternate path. If you found this letter first, there was a chance it would trigger a game loop crash for an NPC failing auto-assignment to a location.
  • Quest will now complete after killing werewolf and returning to Cyndassa. This will remove letter and log entry.
  • Fixed duplicated placement bug often seen in The Werebeast where you could end up with duplicate werewolves and letters.
The fixed version of Sx007 will be in next round of builds. Something to keep in mind is the compiled version of quest in your save game will be the pre-fix version. Let me know if this stuffs up your progress and I can probably edit your save game to reset this quest (after next builds are up).

Now I'll take a look at Sx012 "The Emperor's Courier" and see what's up there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interkarma wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 am Now I'll take a look at Sx012 "The Emperor's Courier" and see what's up there.
Can confirm this one as well. It's something related to talk system. I'll make a specific bug report for this one.

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

Thanks for looking into that right away. Once the fix is out, I'll shoot you a message with my save (the one time I forget to make a backup before accepting a quest... :roll: ).

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

Oh, didn't realize it was already up. I was able to accept the next quest with no issue, but the previous quest still remains in my log. Here's the last save file I was using.
Attachments
SAVE2.rar
(200.72 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thinking about this again, you should be able to end quest from console:
  1. Open quest debugger using LeftShift+Tab
  2. Use [ and ] keys to select the stuck quest (in this case S0000007 `The Werebeast`)
endquest1.jpg
endquest1.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

Then open console using tilde/backquote key and enter enddebugquest. This will tombstone the currently selected debug quest.

endquest2.jpg
endquest2.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

The quest status for S0000007 should go from "Running" to "Finished". The log entry and letter should disappear. The quest itself will expire completely once the tombstone period expires. Don't worry about the "failed/expired" bit. This just means quest was ended without a reward, which is normal for most main story quests.

endquest3.jpg
endquest3.jpg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

Highyena

Post by Highyena »

All good now, thanks for the help (and to Nystul for the quick fix).

EDIT - Would I be able to do something similar to remove those two old quest notes from my inventory (the one for the "Wedding" and the "Missing Prince")? I kind of ignored them for a while, but I'm not sure why they're still there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

These ones will hang around for a while as they perform some followup later. They'll expire out when ready.

You definitely only want to end quests like the werebeast after a known buggy situation. Otherwise just let the scripts do their thing. :)