Build #107 - Hand-to-Hand combat has infinite range under certain conditions [RESOLVED]

BlueBolt

Build #107 - Hand-to-Hand combat has infinite range under certain conditions [RESOLVED]

Post by BlueBolt »

Yesterday I started a new character and chose Monk to see how good the Hand-to-Hand skill could become. After grinding a couple levels, I went to do some dungeon and found out my melee range changed and allowed me to hit enemies from very far away, making bows & arrows useless.

I'm not quite sure how I've managed to pull it off in the first place, but when I closed the game, it crashed on me and now the bug appears to have fixed itself upon relaunching the game.

Here's a recording of how far my melee attacks could reach enemies. I've no idea if this behavior is normal or intended but it sure is making me feel godlike.
https://my.mixtape.moe/mbsbpe.webm

Midknightprince

Re: Build #107 - Hand-to-Hand combat has infinite range under certain conditions

Post by Midknightprince »

Did you have a weapon equipped in the other hand ?
Hand to hand used to get funky when you had a bow in the other hand, but I havent seen this...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

BlueBolt

Re: Build #107 - Hand-to-Hand combat has infinite range under certain conditions

Post by BlueBolt »

Midknightprince wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 am Did you have a weapon equipped in the other hand ?
Hand to hand used to get funky when you had a bow in the other hand, but I havent seen this...
Nope. I had used a bow at some point, but I didn't keep it equipped when the bug happened.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a pretty awesome bug. Thanks for the report. :)

In theory the raycast for any form of weapon attack (including hand-to-hand) has a very short range - about 2 metres or so. It sounds like some kind of state was stuck allowing for longer raycasts on that attack method.

Does completely closing and reopening game fix this issue, or does it persist between saves? If it does persist after closing game and reopening a save, I'd love a copy of the save file to reproduce if possible.

BlueBolt

Post by BlueBolt »

Interkarma wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:46 am That's a pretty awesome bug. Thanks for the report. :)

In theory the raycast for any form of weapon attack (including hand-to-hand) has a very short range - about 2 metres or so. It sounds like some kind of state was stuck allowing for longer raycasts on that attack method.

Does completely closing and reopening game fix this issue, or does it persist between saves? If it does persist after closing game and reopening a save, I'd love a copy of the save file to reproduce if possible.
Yeah, closing and reopening the game fixed the issue. I even saved before closing the game to see if reloading that same save would make the bug happen again but no.
Last edited by BlueBolt on Wed May 02, 2018 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No worries, still definitely something I'll look into soon. Thanks again!

BlueBolt

Post by BlueBolt »

I figured out how to replicate the bug!
The way it works is first you equip a bow, switch to the left hand weapon, unequip the bow, then switch back to the right hand weapon.

If done correctly, you should have the range of a bow on your fists, or possibly whichever weapon you equip. I haven't tested if this bug can be replicated with other weapons yet, but there's a good chance it can be.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's great info, cheers! I'll try to make sure this one is fixed before next builds drop. :)

BlueBolt

Post by BlueBolt »

Interkarma wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 am That's great info, cheers! I'll try to make sure this one is fixed before next builds drop. :)
No problem!

Also upon further testing, this bug only seems to happen with unarmed only, so this could explain why this bug has never been discovered until now. :P

Interkarma

Re: Build #107 - Hand-to-Hand combat has infinite range under certain conditions [RESOLVED]

Post by Interkarma »

I've fixed this one now. Thanks for the catch. :)