Build #107 - Enemy that spawn upon resting may be unkillable [RESOLVED]

BlueBolt

Build #107 - Enemy that spawn upon resting may be unkillable [RESOLVED]

Post by BlueBolt »

So this is a pretty rare bug that has occurred to me twice so far in all the hours I've spent in Daggerfall Unity but in these two times, it happened in this build.

For whatever reason, there is a very, very rare occurrence that the enemy that spawns from resting in dungeons may be impossible to kill no matter how many times you hit it, or even if you use the killall console command. It can apparently happen with any enemy type (happened first time with a Thief enemy NPC in some dungeon, then a second time with a Lich in some crypt just today). Saving and reloading makes the affected enemy disappear, as if it was just a ghost.

Highyena

Re: Build #107 - Enemy that spawn upon resting may be unkillable

Post by Highyena »

I had this happen to me as well today with a spider in a random dungeon (didn't test the "killall" command or saving/reloading though).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's an interesting one, thanks for letting me know.

Just something to mention - the spherecast for player attacks is very easily blocked by static geometry (e.g. when fighting in doorways or near objects). And standing too close to an enemy might make it impossible to hit them as well. Just to be sure this problem isn't related, next time it happens please kite enemy into an open area and back up slightly to ensure player not standing directly up against their collider. This at least rules out a couple of known problems that I already have in my sights.

Your bug does sound like something different, as the random enemy spawn should save and load state with the game. I'll leave this one open until I can chase it down some more and hopefully reproduce.

BlueBolt

Post by BlueBolt »

I do know if things like doorways or corpses and whatnot are in the way, then it can prevent the enemy from getting hit, but this is different.

My hits were definitely hitting the target. There was feedback on the hits, the enemy would get knocked back and stagger from the hits and it just wouldn't die. The first time it happened, I moved around in some open room while hitting it, but it didn't change anything.

Edit: Well somehow I made it happen again just now, with 3 enemies this time. I quicksaved after having three enemies spawned from resting outside and they wouldn't die. This time, even reloading my save didn't make them disappear. Typing "killall" in the console confirmed "killing" them, but they still lived regardless, even quicksaving and loading after entering the command had no effect.

Incidentally, this bug happened right as I found another bug, which I'm gonna make a thread for it. :P

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

I've had this recently with a vampire. I've got high long blade skill, a daedric dai katana and I can hit her 50 times without killing her. She should go down in about 6 hits max. I don't know if she spawned as a result of me resting; she wasn't that close so I could tell.

Happens in #132 Win 64 bit.

In this save, the vamp is heading right at me, but out of melee range. As you will see, it's in an open space and there's nothing in the way like doorways, etc.
Attachments
SAVE477.zip
(238.03 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

pango

Post by pango »

Short version, is it your first quest in this dungeon?

(the rest is technical rambling, hoping to give/get help to/from people knowing Daggerfall Unity sources better than I do)
Something weird I noticed is that this vampire is marked as questSpawn, but it has no valid questResource so, bitten by a bug, maybe that made it invincible? (foe.IncrementKills raising a null pointer exception?)

Code: Select all

{
            "loadID": 33654334,
            "gameObjectName": "DaggerfallEnemy [Vampire]",
            "isDead": false,
            "startingHealth": 136,
            "currentHealth": 15,
            "currentFatigue": 12480,
            "currentMagicka": 270,
            "entityType": "EnemyMonster",
            "careerName": "Vampire",
            "careerIndex": 28,
            "isHostile": true,
            "hasEncounteredPlayer": true,
            "questSpawn": true,
            "mobileGender": "Female",
            "questResource": {
                "questUID": 0,
                "targetSymbol": null,
                "isFoeDead": false,
                "$version": "v1"
            },
Current quest (C0B10Y15) only spawns a Lich, so that questSpawn flag is not deserved... A leftover from a previous quest?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

No, I definitely hadn't been to that dungeon before. It's an odd one, with a couple of unusual variations on standard block types.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is interesting. Thank you for the save Prester Lewin, capturing bugs in a bottle like this is most helpful. I'll spend a bit of time digging into this when I can.

Code: Select all

"questResource": {
                "questUID": 0,
                "targetSymbol": null,
                "isFoeDead": false,
                "$version": "v1"
            },
The above is OK. Every enemy has an empty questResource struct on them. This is only populated and linked to a QuestResource when that mob was dropped by quest system.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

I'm pleased to make any contribution I can. :)

I'm sure now that I did rest before meeting that enemy. I thought she was one I saw falling from a ramp while exploring, but I now think she may have been newly spawned after I started exploring. Could she be part of a trap in the vanilla game in that dungeon or that quest? Bethesda wouldn't have made her invincible, though, would they?

I make frequent saves as I go, so I have saves before taking the quest and before entering the dungeon, if those would help. I haven't been able to recreate the "bug" yet.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Prester Lewin wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 pm Could she be part of a trap in the vanilla game in that dungeon or that quest? Bethesda wouldn't have made her invincible, though, would they?
Nah, no invincibility flag exists in Daggerfall. Even if there were, it hasn't been implemented in DFU either :)