Game freeze when opening spellbook [FILE PERMISSIONS RELATED]

Midknightprince

Game freeze when opening spellbook [FILE PERMISSIONS RELATED]

Post by Midknightprince »

Same thing with showspellmaker.
DFU just froze until I quit out, now it crashes on start.
The last Github version got messed up to somehow, I cant open the spellbook either in that one, it was working fine last night..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Interkarma

Re: Game freeze when opening spellbook

Post by Interkarma »

I can open spellbook and use "showspellmaker" in latest build and create/cast spells successfully. Tested with existing and new characters.

Possibly one of your spells isn't happy and unable to load properly. Send me the affected save game if you can mate and I'll take a closer look.

Midknightprince

Wow, it was the win 10 update.
How can the win 10 update mess up DFU ?
I rolled back, and it works fine...
It kept saying I need permission to save in this location, like win 7 used to do...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

One of the Win10 updates changed permissions for .exe's unzipped from web. It's a good security change but it can affect DFU. Here's a few ways to work around now that we've identified it.
  • Right-click "DaggerfallUnity.exe" and "Run as administrator". Can also set the compatibility tick to always run as administrator.
  • Move the Daggerfall game files out of Program Files to another location (e.g. C:\Games\Daggerfall).
  • Before unzipping latest build, right-click .zip and "unblock" before unblocking. Not sure if this will fix however, so first two items above are probably a better bet.
Good luck! :)

Midknightprince

Yeah the last one was already checked, I figured out the putting the file in a different location thing but it seemed a bit too restrictive compared to what I was used to, maybe I'll go back eventually, and with that you can close this thing.
Thanks for the heads up