PC at _place_ do _task [Dungeon Exteriors]

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: PC at _place_ do _task [Dungeon Exteriors]

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, I've just given this a shot and the test quest works well. I'll have to start looking for opportunities to use this! Thanks Interkarma.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Its working pretty good so far but right now I have an issue atm.

* when pc enters keep and not _cooldown_ *

This works fine. When the player enters a keep and the variable cooldown isn't active, the task initiates.

* when pc exits keep and not _peace_ *

I can't seem to do a similar task if the player is exiting the area however.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

"and not" isn't valid addon for this check. See my example above.

You can still accomplish this however by splitting out the checks. Use "when player enters/exits" to set or clear a task, then consume that task in a "when task and not task" elsewhere in the usual manner to trigger desired action.

Just let me know if you need more help and I'll put an example together when I can.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:27 am "and not" isn't valid addon for this check. See my example above.

You can still accomplish this however by splitting out the checks. Use "when player enters/exits" to set or clear a task, then consume that task in a "when task and not task" elsewhere in the usual manner to trigger desired action.

Just let me know if you need more help and I'll put an example together when I can.
Yea that works fine. Don't know why I had trouble with it, I should have tried that last night.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just to report on what I said earlier: I've now tested "cult" as a location and detection works fine.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Something I recently attempted for pango showed me a difference between how pc at and pc enters treat towns.

With pc at, the quest action detects only the town's exterior (all streets and so on).

WIth pc enters, the quest action detects all town exteriors and interiors.

This is of very little importance before beta, but I did want to point out this difference, which reduces quest flexibility to some degree.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

"pc at set aTask" is a continuous toggle action that checks if player is standing in a specific quest zone and sets/unsets target task or variable. Quest zones can be an interior, exterior, or dungeon. Zones are partitioned from each other in tests, which seems the correct emulation behaviour based on classic testing.

"when pc enters" and "when pc exits" are trigger conditions. They track when player enters/exits a certain location area and trigger their parent task. They don't care if player is inside or outside, and generally you can only enter/exit a location while outside anyway. There's no specific emulation behaviour to worry about and there's no reason for it to regard interior/exteriors at all.

The two operations above are both very different and have different uses for testing where player is. Neither is really suited for testing is player is inside or outside, unless it's a specific quest interior zone like a building or dungeon.

What we need here is a "pc outside set aTask" continuous toggle and you can tell when player is inside or outside at any time and use this in your conditions. This functionality is currently missing from quest system.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Indeed. No rush though, I don't want you to lose any time you could be spending on spells or other important features :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Bumping topic for a random related question. With Tedious Travel, players travel in real time to locations. That's all fine and dandy but I'd need to know if its possible at to detect when the player enters the ocean. I find that its very janky when you have quests that run while in the wilderness.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

At this stage the sea isn't defined as a location for this condition, so that won't be possible yet.