Quest Editor

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
TheLacus

Re: Quest Editor [0.15.0]

Post by TheLacus »

Version 0.15.0 is available from Nexus Mods.

Save inspector is shown as a tree view inside the Debug tab. After you picked QuestData.txt from a save it will list all quests which have corresponding serialized data.

vscode_df_inspect_0.jpg
vscode_df_inspect_0.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 14306 times
vscode_df_inspect_1.jpg
vscode_df_inspect_1.jpg (115.49 KiB) Viewed 14306 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

TheLacus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 pm Save inspector is shown as a tree view inside the Debug tab. After you picked QuestData.txt from a save it will list all quests which have corresponding serialized data.
A clever addition, thank you!

You also included the most recent quest actions, so thank you for that! I really appreciate your ongoing work with this tool.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That is seriously very clever and very nice. This will make diagnosing some quest issues from saves much easier. Thank you TheLacus!

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I noticed today that the possibility to add customs books via "item" (which Hazelnut added in February, see viewtopic.php?p=40134#p40134) is not yet recognized by the editor.

The syntax is:

Code: Select all

Item _TheBook_ book key 33756280
where the number after key is the ID defined in the mapping json file.

The editor gives an "invalid definition" error when this is written in the source of a quest.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thank you for the report, i'll add it for next version.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

There is an issue that appears with new versions of VS Code, preventing diagnostics from working. I'll push a fixed version ASAP. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Version 0.16.0 can be downloaded from Nexus Mods with a fix and updated actions.

Hazelnut

Re: Quest Editor [0.16.0]

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, I just updated from 0.12 to 0.16 to try and fix up Mountain Rumors for the incoming quest machine changes and it's raising errors that it didn't before. I'll try to give a list of the categories:
  • Message marked as not used when it's used by 'journal note #num'
  • 'place npc _name_ at _place_ marker n' are marked as undefined expressions, possibly because of the next issue, however a similar foe definition is fine
  • 'Person _name_ named Name_Key male' maked as invalid definition, probably because the entries to the table are only present after the mod loads and adds them to the in-memory table data - same happens for the permanent places too for same reason and I guess this may not be fixable.. possibly just change to a warning that x is not present rather than an error?
  • 'kill foe _name_' is marked as undefined
  • %pcl is marked as an invalid macro, probably becuase I added it relatively recently in Nov 2019
Not sure what you can do about some of these but the errors showing are distracting. Is there a way to supress errors do you know?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi, i don't think there is a built-in way to supress errors. I'll work on the issues and provide a fix, but i'm not sure about this one:
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:25 pm
  • 'Person _name_ named Name_Key male' maked as invalid definition, probably because the entries to the table are only present after the mod loads and adds them to the in-memory table data - same happens for the permanent places too for same reason and I guess this may not be fixable.. possibly just change to a warning that x is not present rather than an error?
It's already possible to use a json file to define custom actions added by a mod, i can easily add support for custom keys like this one. However, i'll admit that i don't know why you're defining a named person AND assigning it a gender. This never happens in core quests, it's only done for npcs created from factions i believe. Can you confirm that this is actually a valid definition?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

TheLacus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:11 pm Hi, i don't think there is a built-in way to supress errors. I'll work on the issues and provide a fix, but i'm not sure about this one:
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:25 pm
It's already possible to use a json file to define custom actions added by a mod, i can easily add support for custom keys like this one. However, i'll admit that i don't know why you're defining a named person AND assigning it a gender. This never happens in core quests, it's only done for npcs created from factions i believe. Can you confirm that this is actually a valid definition?
I checked and found that the gender is ignored, so I guess it's invalid from that point of view. It's valid syntax for the regex used to interpret it though. If I remove the 'male' suffix, then that error goes away. I think I added it just FYI in the quest script, but it's no big deal.

Still have errors on the symbols because they're not visible to dftemplate obviously. The ability to define custom keys would work, but if it's possible to right click and ignore it that would be even better. I wouldn't complain if you left this though, I can certainly live with the occasional symbol error because I know they're valid.

Thanks in advance for fixing the other issues. It's a great help when doing big quests!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods