Classic unofficial quests

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Classic unofficial quests

Post by Jay_H »

I've cleaned them up. M0b30y33 is a fail right now since the quest engine can't parse this defined item:

Code: Select all

Item _thiefplace_ item class 10 subclass 11

Parsing quest M0B30Y33.txt
Parsing quest M0B30Y33.txt FAILED!
Could not find Item name item in items table
M0B50Y34 is also a fail since it attempts to use a local dungeon. That's a trick classic DF quest writers would use to hide an NPC or a foe away in a pocket dimension. Right now the quest won't run. I don't really know how to fix it.

Code: Select all

Parsing quest M0B50Y34
[M0b50y34] Generated Home for Person _questgiver_ [Bedyrick Coppercroft] at 'Daggerfall/Chesterwark' in building 'The Fighters Guild'
[M0b50y34] Generated Home for Person _P.01_ [Peristair Copperwing] at 'Daggerfall/Gothway Garden' in building 'The Woodwing Residence'
[M0b50y34] Generated Home for Person _priest_ [Agrore Hawksly] at 'Daggerfall/Wailing Prophet of Kynareth' in building 'The Temple of Kynareth'
[M0b50y34] Error in quest follows. Terminating quest runtime.
HasSiteLink() could not find Place symbol L
The other 3 are in working condition. Sorry this isn't a pull request but you know my git experience is well limited :(
Attachments
FixedLBS.zip
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the input Jay, I appreciate the time you've taken.

In reflection, it was ill-advised of me to include these in DFU core. I seem to have been swayed by everyone's enthusiasm for these quests and wanted make others happy. But at the end of the day, these quests are not part of the classic Daggerfall experience and use engine-specific hacks exploiting quirks of classic's implementation not present in Daggerfall Unity. I do not wish to support this any further.

I'm going to revert these quests back out of the core now. If anyone wants to add them again in future, please start with Jay's download above and introduce them as an optional quest pack. If necessary, rewrite quest logic to suit the current quest system implementation.

Thank you for understanding.

pango

Post by pango »

Thank you very much for your efforts!
I guess those quests are not ready for prime time in Daggerfall Unity, but it was worth a try. Hopefully they'll come back as a quest pack sometime in the future, or some of the ideas they contain inspire new quests...

(I'm definitely not as efficient as Jay_H at evaluating quests, I was barely started testing them the hard way :oops: )
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I was watching this, thank you guys for trying.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No hard feelings, I did my job :) I'm certain these'll get their proper treatment sooner or later.

Just my personal feeling, some of these quests are pretty goofy. I don't consider them equal to classic in terms of writing, though the mechanics are quite creative. Worst case scenario, I could repurpose them into quests of my own.

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Sorry to bring this topic back... is not from so long ago, but perhaps it would be better to create a new thread? Not sure, I hope I'm not being too annoying for this :oops:

As I was playing my Classic Daggerfall for the tests I was doing ([1]) I noticed that I was offered a lot more quests that I didn't recalled what they were about, then I remembered... I'm using the installation that comes from DaggerfallSetup and has the extra packs installed... so I was trying to figure it out if there was some of them available already for DFU?

The quest that made me remember is one where the MGs has you running around trying to track some escaped Imps, and you have to use the "Any news?" topic repeatedly until one NPCs gives you the hint of where to look for them (in which city...)

Are there any of those quests included in the Quest Pack mod? From what I saw, they are custom ones, not sure if they are the old ones or newly devised ones?

PS: [1] the "tests" refer to the this thread.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Nope, that one's not in CompUSA or my quest pack. I've been thinking of re-creating it like I did the "tavern bouncer" quest.

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Ah nice... I have several readmes from the quest packs that are installed, not sure where I got them if they aren't from the CompUSA standard pack, I mean! I don't recall ever manually installing any quest packs in my classic Daggerfall myself, but, after all this time, who can say?

BTW, is the unofficial alternate option for solving the Werebeast quest (from the main quest) included in Daggerfall? I just recently found out about this option and was already past that point in my DFU character to be able to test it!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, it was originally in the game but Interkarma needed to remove it due to problems it caused.

pango

Post by pango »

Too bad, it adds a lot of depth, and a way to meet a faction that is otherwise very easy to miss :(
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart