Quest list format is being updated

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Hazelnut

Re: Quest list format is being updated

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah, that was kind of a work around that works for guilds unfortunately. I took a look at the quest list in your repo (QuestList-Commoner.txt) and I don't think you can chain like this because the directory is only searched for non-listed quests if it has an InitAtGameStart entry in there. The reasoning is that this was the use case where you would need to chain quests from one started when the game starts for you perpetual pack. Looks like this needs extending so it will work for any quest directories, and not just ones with init quests in. I was just trying to keep the number of directories looked in to a minimum.

I'll try and submit a change for this ASAP - sorry for not picking this up sooner, been catching up on unread threads around here recently.

P.S. Are you still after a way of selecting subsequent quests that holds state?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Phew. I was starting to feel like a real idiot :) Thanks. To be honest it's actually irrelevant for now, since I offloaded that quest and many others to Kamer. I plan on returning strictly to normal quests, when I'm done fixing the classic ones. This shouldn't be a problem for me but future quest authors may be invested in how you decide to do this.

No, I have a workaround for that. I can ensure that a questline is only offered once on my own.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry wasn't trying to make anyone feel like an idiot, just think I've done a poor job of clearly explaining how it all works. (as well as not being around much to help)

I don't see how offloading the quest to Kamer makes the issue go away though, just it's their problem now right? Be interested in what they would like the quest manager to do. Are they contributing to your quest pack now then, collaborating with you?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, it's all a new section of Warm Ashes, "City Events." I haven't tested it yet but he seems happy with how it's turning out. If any problems come up with his version, no doubt we'll learn about it.

I did create his quest list in the past, so if I introduced any mistakes they could be perpetuated now.

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

I'm a bit unclear what the membership designation P (prospect) means and how it would be used. Does it have anything to do with prospective members?

Is it possible to do an exclusive non-member quest for the House of Dibella (hoping to do a sacred sex quest for my prostitutes and lovers mod) ... I'm unsure how to make it happen and how it should be listed in the questlist.

PROST013, HolyOrder, N, 0, X, - means all temples will give it to nonmembers.

PROST013, HolyOrder, D, 0, X, - means you have to be a member of Dibella temple to get it.

PROST013, Dibella, N, 0, X, - means no temple will give it (as far as I can tell)

Any ideas?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's for the TG and DB guilds which have different method for joining... you cant just rock up click npc and then join. :)

Only relevant for new guilds and even then it would require some coding to allow the TG/DB prospective member mechanism to be used for a custom guild. (I have no plans to do that BTW)

Regarding temples there's no way to specify a non-member temple specific quest unfortunately since classic didn't have any. If you specify Dibella as the guild group then it will not match a guild at all.

However you can do the quest from your mod/guild and simply control the narrative, have a task to go speak to someone in a D temple etc

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

Okay, I'll work round it. Thanks for that.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I have a question about one-time quests. I understand that these quests can only be accepted once. What happens if the player rejects the quest offer?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The quest can be offered again. What matters is that the quest begins and then ends in some way, successfully or not.