Clearing Monsters from house quests broken?

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
JagarTharn

Clearing Monsters from house quests broken?

Post by JagarTharn »

Hello, first of all I want to say this is an amazing feat effort and of technology to remake Daggerfall in a modern engine, absolutely fantastic. Also a special hello to anybody that used to hang out on the old bethsoft forums! Anyway, I have seem to have stumbled on a glitch of the sort with quests involving clearing monsters from a house with a 24 hour limit. I have gotten this quest from various NPCs in different towns three or four times now and they all have the same hiccup. I go to said residence and there are no monsters at all. The only thing there is an npc, its always the same one wearing a dark tunic with blond hair and beard. I always ask if this is the residence and he says yes this is it, but there's not a monster in sight.

Jay_H

Re: Clearing Monsters from house quests broken?

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome :)

That's an odd event. Could you provide a save game, and your DFU version number?

JagarTharn

Post by JagarTharn »

Sure, where are the saves located?

JagarTharn

Post by JagarTharn »

Okay I found it. Here it is
https://mega.nz/#F!vzRSyCCR!vwLJA7Y8zhXGH7gebUiCKw
The version I'm using is 0.10.3

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I don't know what to tell you. I went to the house and rested and rats started spawning. I killed 7 of them and turned in the quest for 350 gold. This isn't happening to me.

JagarTharn

Post by JagarTharn »

:shock: You saw the man in the save thumbnail right? Maybe my game is cursed, or maybe a mod conflict? Weird because I have no quest mods installed, just graphic and immersion mods. Here's my modlist if it'll help:
autosave
birds in daggerfall
convenient clock
D.r.e.a.m.
drop a coin
enhanced sky
handpainted models
mountains and hills
postprocessing
realgrass
roleplay realism
vibrant wind
ViO_v3_windows

I'll try to load up the saves without any mods and see if it works. What a weird bug.

JagarTharn

Post by JagarTharn »

NVM I'm a big dummy, I had no idea you had to loiter around for the monsters to show up... Sure enough I waited and cleared them out. Sorry for wasting your time.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Don't worry about it :) Daggerfall has its learning curve, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I hope everyone can enjoy it like I do.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I can see why this quest is confusing to new players. It's not phrased as "guard this house for X hours." It's infested, you totally expect the monsters to be there already, and they're not. You have to wait around or repeatedly loiter. A new player would never know this, hence this thread. Since you also don't know how many are going to spawn, you could easily kill a few and think you're done and run back to qgiver.

I think the quest should be changed to spawn all monsters at once the moment of entry, and if possible, restrict the residence type to larger buildings so that they're scattered throughout. Infinite spawn with a hidden quota is weird and makes no sense. Qgiver wants the infestation purged, not partially purged.

I wouldn't remove the victory message message that was added. But I would change it to "The scratching noises have stopped." The new behavior wouldn't have a hidden quota needing 4th wall breakage of "You've killed enough" to satisfy the questfile.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That message was something I added, so I'm willing to change it.

There are a lot of things that can be handled by third-party fixes like in classic Daggerfall. If people want to edit the classic quests and release them as an upgraded quest pack to replace the original ones, I don't see a problem. I think there are a lot of quirks in classic that could be edited out to give a good, fresh interpretation of Daggerfall.