Cannot progress main quest

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Dovakhiin

Re: Cannot progress main quest

Post by Dovakhiin »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:28 am Based on your save, the quest Sx010 "Stronghold of the Blades" is not active.

Handing in painting to Akorithi will start quest Sx010 whether you look at the painting or not. From that moment, there are three possible ways to end the quest:
  1. Running out the 30-day timer that begins after the letter is generated (which happens 7 days after handing in painting).
  2. Refusing the quest when first speaking to agent of the Underking
  3. Returning item to agent of the Underking (success and reveal tomb)
The most likely cause of quest not running here is #1. If you fast travelled or spent significant time away from cities, you would never have received the letter and the offer window will have closed. I agree this is quite unfair, but it's how the quest is scripted. Perhaps this timer should be removed, I'm not sure what purpose it serves other than frustrating gameplay.

If you'd like another shot at this, here's a process:
  • Open console and enter startquest s0000010
  • You'll need to run out about 1 week of time, at which point letter can be delivered. Keep an eye on timer S.04 in quest Sx010. When this expires, letter is ready and your 30-day timer is ticking.
  • Stay in towns for a day or two until letter arrives revealing location of Underking's agent.
  • Visit agent of Underking and progress quest from there.
I just tested the above in your save and was able to progress Sx010 normally.
That definitely works to start the mission, however it also presents another problem. I tried this on 4 occassions, all with the same outcome. I get the letter when I travel to another town, which is fine, but then the letter gives me a random location which I cannot ever find in Sentinel, no town or inn or anything, no matter how or where i look on the map. Therefore I cannot go an visit the agent. Would you know whats causing this?

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:07 am Agreed, Jay. I'd be inclined to remove first extinction timer (_S.10_) completely. 30 days is a brutal limit when player may not even know quest has started yet. It's much too easy to miss this either by taking an extended trip or spending time in some dungeons.

There's a second extinction timer (_itemindung_) that starts only after accepting quest from agent of Underking. This is more than adequate a time limit. The first timer just is unnecessarily cruel.

Edit: Have removed hidden 30-day extinction timer (_S.10_) that can end quest before player even knows it has started. There is still a time limit imposed once player has contacted agent of Underking, but at least by this stage player knows quest has started and if they fail from here, it's because they ignored the quest log rather than just an accident.
Is this an update I can download? I dont mind starting again if I have to, although would rather finish from where I am. Cheers mate.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

When you start the quest manually, town will be selected in whatever region you started the quest in. Make sure that you're actually in Sentinel when starting the quest, or look for town in the region you used console command inside of.

Change mentioned will be in next round of builds.

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm When you start the quest manually, town will be selected in whatever region you started the quest in. Make sure that you're actually in Sentinel when starting the quest, or look for town in the region you used console command inside of.

No problem. I'll try this and let you know how I get on. Thanks again dude. Youre a legend. 8-)

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm When you start the quest manually, town will be selected in whatever region you started the quest in. Make sure that you're actually in Sentinel when starting the quest, or look for town in the region you used console command inside of.

OK, it worked....however Im not sure if its worked correctly.

I have retrieved the mark and returned it to the agent, he gave me the info of Lynsandus's tomb in Menevia. Found the place, however nothing is in my journal for it for continuation, as in "go and use the dust on Lysandus Tomb" etc. Is this now something that has to be found manually?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Dovakhiin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm

I have retrieved the mark and returned it to the agent, he gave me the info of Lynsandus's tomb in Menevia. Found the place, however nothing is in my journal for it for continuation, as in "go and use the dust on Lysandus Tomb" etc. Is this now something that has to be found manually?
If I'm not mistaken, some other branch of the Main Quest informs you of the location of a witch. Her quest line needs to be done to progress.

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:25 pm
Dovakhiin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken, some other branch of the Main Quest informs you of the location of a witch. Her quest line needs to be done to progress.
if you mean Medora, Ive already done her quest and got the lich dust, which she treated. I returned to her and collected it. Completed the Blades (Underking)quest and got the location. I am now in Lysandus Tomb dungeon, but cant use the tele2qmarker command to get to the tomb as there is nothing showing in my journal for it.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, then the quest is to use the lich dust in lysandus’s tomb.

But I suspect you might have used console commands to manipulate the MQ?
It might just be imposdible to complete, which is a perfect vanilla Daggerfall experience :D

At this point I would really suggest making a new character and try again.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Even with the quest working, there's no quest marker on Lysandus' coffin. You just have to click on it manually. If you know how to float in the void that'd make it easier, but doing it legitimately is a long walk. I recommend the UESP walkthrough.

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

DONE! Managed to complete the Lysandus Tomb Quest finally. Now I gotta find Woodbourne or whatever his name is in Sentinel. Cant find him at the moment, but Im gonna continue the game which should now hopefully lead on to completion.

Thank you to EVERYONE who contributed. You guys rock 8-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all of you :)