Mountain Rumors (R&R FG Master quest)

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Hazelnut

Mountain Rumors (R&R FG Master quest)

Post by Hazelnut »

This thread is for discussing the new quest for players who reach Master rank in the Fighters Guild, called Mountain Rumors. It's part of the Roleplay & Realism mod pack from v0.6 and requires DFU v0.10.13 or later.

I will add more details later.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Re: Mountain Rumors (R&R FG Master quest)

Post by Ralzar »

Once I get through constantly poking at my own mod (which I think will be soon) I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can actually get my character through this quest when it's not for testing.

Knowing what the outcome will be if I fail, I'l have to consider my options carefully, but I need a pair of Mithril Boots dammit! :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This sounds really great, Im just waiting for DFU to leave alpha to dive in the questing, so my feedback will take a while ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Arrival at the custom location:
significant construction has taken place recentlu
Log quote:
more than brigands and renegades, and you suspect
(the log is written in first person)

Log quote:
Look for a (someone)
(the log is written in first person)

SPOILERS!!

I was informed that I hurt another member of the Dark Brotherhood, but I didn't. I made sure to only kill the blackmailer.

Once I stepped into the castle with the contract, the smith spoke to me without me finding him. Must be yelling all the way from his room!

I told the smith to go west, and he said he'd go to Penmore in Glenpoint. I went there but don't know where to find him or what to do now.

Very Mount and Blade feeling (perhaps Prophecy of Pendor). A good foundation for a lot of varied mechanics.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am
I was informed that I hurt another member of the Dark Brotherhood, but I didn't. I made sure to only kill the blackmailer.

I told the smith to go west, and he said he'd go to Penmore in Glenpoint. I went there but don't know where to find him or what to do now.
You must have struck one of their friends during the fight. Any hit that does damage counts as hurting, otherwise they text would have said kill instead of hurt. I hope you left clicked the renegade first to see if you could pass the skill checks.

Go to Penmore and look for an armorers shop. Orange on the map and you can ask villagers etc... you know the drill.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

theJF

Post by theJF »

Just finished this quest. Very impressive combination of advanced questing plus new locations. I particularly liked the dark brotherhood contact's dialog. The only thing is I don't know how to use the custom armour service. It opens what looks like a standard selling window and there's nothing for sale. Probably I should try disabling other mods in case there's a conflict. The log file mentioned a custom armour service but no details and no error.
I'll try later with no other mods and then post my save file. But maybe I'm missing something?
It was nice to feel that becoming guildmaster actually got you some respect!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

theJF wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:42 pm Just finished this quest. Very impressive combination of advanced questing plus new locations. I particularly liked the dark brotherhood contact's dialog. The only thing is I don't know how to use the custom armour service. It opens what looks like a standard selling window and there's nothing for sale. Probably I should try disabling other mods in case there's a conflict. The log file mentioned a custom armour service but no details and no error.
I'll try later with no other mods and then post my save file. But maybe I'm missing something?
It was nice to feel that becoming guildmaster actually got you some respect!
Thank you. It's really great to have some feedback after the amount of effort I put into it. Glad you liked it. :D

The dialog would have been poorer without Ralzar for sure though. Did you do this on a video? I would love to watch and see how you reacted etc.

As for the armour service, if there's nothing for sale then it's most likely that you're too low level to get any of the higher level materials. I thought it was reasonable to assume that a master of the Fighters Guild would be at least level 10... seems I may have misjudged that maybe? If my guess is correct about your level then I can either drop the level requirements a bit or add a message to let players know they are too low level for custom armour.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

theJF wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:42 pm I particularly liked the dark brotherhood contact's dialog.
8-)
Good to hear that someone else got through it. Being a master quest, not that many people have played it and given feedback. Which is understandable, but a bit frustrating when considering the amount of work that went into it :D

theJF

Post by theJF »

Ha! I'm at level 9!
There is something that the young people these days refer to as a "twitch vod":
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/534992437
It starts about 7 and half minutes in. I don't know how long the videos are saved for, I think they get nuked occasionally.
Thanks for making this, gents. Maybe we will see master guild quests for the other guilds one day?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Why didn't you go back and talk to the lord after speaking with the armorer? You missed some dialogue there. :)

Also you can click on the assassin to attempt to use skills to quietly one shot, although I don't think your skills were enough. Your attack speed is blender like, so I suspect you have weapon speed module switched off then like enhanced riding?

Sorry for the anticlimax... I was trying to avoid it being an exploit to get good materials too early. I'll lower the min level to 8 I think. I assume you power levelled to master of FG ?