Kill or steal a ransom item quest(Merchant) bug?

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Merc

Kill or steal a ransom item quest(Merchant) bug?

Post by Merc »

So I got this quest from a jeweler in Wayrest to either kill 1 of 2 people or steal a jewel one of the persons is guarding that will be used to pay a ransom.

I decided to steal the jewel instead of killing the ransom payer as I did a similar quest before killing the person guarding the jewel and I think I may have taken a faction hit to Wayrest commoners but not 100% sure.

In the quest notes it says to perform one of the before mentioned actions and then return to the quest giver within 27 days. So I snagged the jewel and returned back to the quest giver but he will not talk to me. It has only been 12 or 13 days so plenty of time on the quest left. It's like he doesn't recognize I have the jewel on my person. Is this a known bug? Anyone else have this problem? 2 things I thought of-1: I aggro'd the quest NPC guarding the jewel but did not kill him only stole the jewel. Could this have bugged quest? 2: I need to wait for the timer to run down on the quest and it will auto-complete once the ransom fails to be paid with the jewel I stole?

Big thanks to all modders and DFU community for making this game. I bought the original Daggerfall boxed game back in the 90's and was hooked for months. It was hard to take learning about it being so bugged and broken back then. I gave up playing due to the horrendous bugs but I am back with DFU and have been playing almost 2 weeks and so far not a single bug or crash until this quest(possibly). I'm running a lot of great mods as well including DREAM, post-processing, updated lighting, hand-painted models, birds, grass, dynamic wind, mountains & Hills, and the questpack offered here(QP1 I believe). I may be leaving a mod or 2 out. This is a blast and looking forward to finally beating the main quest line over 20 years after my first attempt! :D

Merc

Re: Kill or steal a ransom item quest(Merchant) bug?

Post by Merc »

I used the quest debugger to get a better idea of what might be going on. It seems I had 4 quests listed in there. 2 I think are part of the main story line which were "Curse of Daggerfall" and "Main Quest Backbone". The other 2 just had hexdecimal names or something. One showed finished while the other was running.

My logbook only showed 2 quests though, the main story line and the one listed here.