Carrying Capacity and "give item"

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
haloterm

Carrying Capacity and "give item"

Post by haloterm »

Here's another funny thing:

For some reason, my new Khajit character ended up with a carrying capacity of about "7" (I really don't know why. Maybe I messed something up in character creation).

So he was overencumbered already at the new game, but I did not noticed that until I used him to test the quest I'm currently writing. I wanted to give him a "letter" type item named _BHCIssue_ ("give pc _BHCIssue_ notify 1020").

"Okay", I thought, "then let's strip him of all his gear, so he has enough capacity left for the really lightweight letter". But to no avail, even when only 1 of his 7 capacity was used, he could not be given the item (and also never showed the "1020" message).

So I tried again with two other new characters, both with a more common carrying capacity (of about "80"). Here, the same quest worked as intended; they got the item and showed the message "1020".

So it seems that the carrying capacity must be somehow related to the "give pc" command. Which I understand. But I do not understand why the letter's weight is 0.10 kg and having 6 out of 7 carrying capacity is not enough. (Picking up default game items of the same weight worked.)

Hazelnut

Re: Carrying Capacity and "give item"

Post by Hazelnut »

This is nothing to do with encumbrance, the code doesn't check that.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Re: Carrying Capacity and "give item"

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:38 pm This is nothing to do with encumbrance, the code doesn't check that.
Hmm... thanks for the clarification. I wonder what else might be different with that particular character then.

Edit: Ok, part of the mystery has cleared a bit. The low encumbrance was due to the Climates & Cloaks mod and my char standing for hours without real clothing in the cold. This lowered it so much. I have deactivated the mod for now, but still have the same problem with that particular character -- he simply does not get the item, whereas all other characters I have tested get the item with the identical quest file.