0.10.25: startquest quest action not reading from QuestPacks

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

0.10.25: startquest quest action not reading from QuestPacks

Post by Jay_H »

Transplanting from this topic: http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4109

It seems as though the start quest custom action refuses to read from the QuestPacks folder and its derivatives. Only quests placed in the Quests folder are read. This breaks some intended behaviors, particularly the original Warm Ashes (which relied on chaining quest starts).

I've tested it with the two quest files I've attached. Place the echo1 file in the Quests folder. You can move echo2 your folders to try detection. Use "startquest echo1" in-game, and if the echo2 message appears, the second quest is in a readable location. So far I've only found that in the Quests folder.
Attachments
echoquests.zip
(741 Bytes) Downloaded 146 times

Interkarma

Re: 0.10.25: startquest quest action not reading from QuestPacks

Post by Interkarma »

StartQuest quest action uses QuestListManager.GetQuest() to find the quest file. This was last updated almost 3 years ago, so probably needs to made QuestPack-aware.

I'll move to bug reports so this can be looked at. Thanks Jay.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sounds like I need to describe this stuff again, pretty sure I did before but it's not in any of the stickies.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Hazelnut. Should we move this back out of bug reports?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:54 pm Transplanting from this topic: http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4109

It seems as though the start quest custom action refuses to read from the QuestPacks folder and its derivatives. Only quests placed in the Quests folder are read. This breaks some intended behaviors, particularly the original Warm Ashes (which relied on chaining quest starts).

I've tested it with the two quest files I've attached. Place the echo1 file in the Quests folder. You can move echo2 your folders to try detection. Use "startquest echo1" in-game, and if the echo2 message appears, the second quest is in a readable location. So far I've only found that in the Quests folder.
Let me describe how quests are found for starting quests by name, e.g. JHAR001.
  • First it looks in the standard classic quests folder, so all these quests can be started by name.
  • Next any folders with a quest defined as 'initAtStartup' in a quest list are checked. This is the support I added for warm ashes etc where quest system is used to implement gameplay behaviours using chained together quest scripts.
  • Lastly any quests defined in quest lists as guild or social quests are checked and can be started by name.
This is the way it's always worked since I originally implemented quest packs. I think the explanation of how it works must be buried in a thread somewhere though because I can't find it. Could you answer these two questions for me:

1) Given the description of how it works above, is there any behaviour that is not working as intended. The example zip just has two quests with no quest list so will not be startable.

2) Are there scenarios of required behaviour that are not covered by the current behaviour? My theory was that you either have an init quest script which starts others in the same folder, or you assign quests to guild or social groups to be vended appropriately. These are usually self contained, but you can split them like I did with Mountain Rumors quest in Roleplay & Realism mod which has 3 scripts. All are registered as guild quests, but only the first is ever given out to the player because the other 2 are marked as requiring 101 reputation. That first quest starts the 2nd which starts (sometimes) the 3rd.

The reason I had the search look for quest lists is that they follow a specific pattern QuestList-<name>.txt wheras quest scripts can be named however you want. I should probably take a look at QP1 and see how you have it all set up, as I don't think I've looked for over a year. :)

EDIT: Took at look at the QP1 setup for this quest and you will need to add an entry for it in the DB quest list with a rep value high enough so it isn't offered or move the second script into a folder with an init at start quest. Then it should work.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'll move this one out of bug reports while troubleshooting. Please feel free to move it back if problems are still found.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 am EDIT: Took at look at the QP1 setup for this quest and you will need to add an entry for it in the DB quest list with a rep value high enough so it isn't offered or move the second script into a folder with an init at start quest. Then it should work.
I added this line:

Code: Select all

JHDB021a, DarkBrotherHood, P, 0, 1, an artifact quest
"Prospect" isn't legitimately used by questgivers so it's a safe category. I tried it that way and the quest functions properly. I'll have to add that in then. Thanks for the help.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:01 am
Hazelnut wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 am EDIT: Took at look at the QP1 setup for this quest and you will need to add an entry for it in the DB quest list with a rep value high enough so it isn't offered or move the second script into a folder with an init at start quest. Then it should work.
I added this line:

Code: Select all

JHDB021a, DarkBrotherHood, P, 0, 1, an artifact quest
"Prospect" isn't legitimately used by questgivers so it's a safe category. I tried it that way and the quest functions properly. I'll have to add that in then. Thanks for the help.
Yep, that will work fine. I preferred the >100 rep as it's more obvious that it never gets given directly, but this is a good idea too.

Hellmasker

Post by Hellmasker »

Now with this fixed, I finally finished that quest! Many, many thanks for your work! :)

Also, pretty good writing I might add :D
Asgar Hellmasker, Silencer of the Dark Brotherhood

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thank you. I'm trying to write more of these dynamic, one-time quests that'll be really memorable. Mixed in with the ordinary repeatable ones, I think Daggerfall's going to have a good mix of highs and lows for awhile.