Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

For all talk about quests. Creating, testing, bugs, and development progress.
User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am

Interesting. Did you happen to notice if he landed that way coming down the stairs, or if that's how he spawned?

CM August
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by CM August » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 am

Unfortunately, the enemies in these quests seem to like spawning on whatever floor I'm not watching at the time. :P In this case I was on the ground floor, and followed the rat noises to find it already in this predicament. I wish I'd seen it happen so you'd have more to go on.

CM August
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by CM August » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Quest bug: try as I might, I have not been able to win a map on M0B30Y04's kill-a-lich quest, even when the debugger says it's rolled the map reward for the quest. The Temp-FightersQuests.txt table says this got a passing grade, so I'm letting you know just in case. Looking at the script, am I right in thinking that the map-giving task (S.07) never runs, because one of the tasks it depends on (pcgetsgold) will actually end the quest?

The activation zone of certain dungeon entrances, like the Ruins of D'ernta Manor, Dak'fron, is really funky. It's as if only certain parts of it are a valid load door.

Cosmetic observation: the realtime shadows for certain objects like the Fighters Guild have an inexplicable seam. I can't see any obvious gaps in the building's geometry so I'm not sure what's going on there.

User avatar
Nystul
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Nystul » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm

CM August wrote: Cosmetic observation: the realtime shadows for certain objects like the Fighters Guild have an inexplicable seam. I can't see any obvious gaps in the building's geometry so I'm not sure what's going on there.
these are shadows not reflections ;)

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 pm

CM August wrote:Quest bug: try as I might, I have not been able to win a map on M0B30Y04's kill-a-lich quest, even when the debugger says it's rolled the map reward for the quest. The Temp-FightersQuests.txt table says this got a passing grade, so I'm letting you know just in case. Looking at the script, am I right in thinking that the map-giving task (S.07) never runs, because one of the tasks it depends on (pcgetsgold) will actually end the quest?
I think two things happening here. First is this reward reveals a random dungeon map with a bit of flavour text, but as discovery isn't implemented I have no locations to "give" the player (they already know all locations), so I haven't implemented yet. This quest command will be implemented along with discovery.

And you're correct the map reward task is dependent on the same task that ends the quest. I think this is a script issue, but could also be imperfect emulation of execution flow on my end. It's something I was going to chase down further once discovery in place.

CM August wrote: The activation zone of certain dungeon entrances, like the Ruins of D'ernta Manor, Dak'fron, is really funky. It's as if only certain parts of it are a valid load door.
A known issue at my end with angled doors, and something I need to fix. Sorry for the troubles. :)

CM August wrote: Cosmetic observation: the realtime shadows for certain objects like the Fighters Guild have an inexplicable seam. I can't see any obvious gaps in the building's geometry so I'm not sure what's going on there.
This is a Unity issue around models with discontinuous normals (a problem with underlying geometry). There are some quick fixes that also create other problems (like further shadow issues, or performance overhead) so I'm just letting this one go for now. Will revisit in the future.

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am

New Live Builds are up now. Here's a list of the main stuff in this version.
  • Fixed "run" keybind handling.
  • Songs now loop until you change context or fast travel.
  • Quest journal now always shows total days instead of days remaining.
  • Inventory now plays loot container transfer sounds and gold sound.
  • Quest reward loot container displays correct remote target icon.
  • Fixed black flash when using guild service UI.
  • Fixed infinite reward bug in quest M0B60Y10.
  • Building interiors now have lower ambient light at night than during the day.
  • Fixed WhenTask operator chaining which prevented some quests from ending properly.
  • Fixed questor clear bug in M0B00Y17.
  • Fixed M0B00Y16 not ending properly if you choose to escort PC home.
  • Fixed ending conditions for M0B30Y04.
  • Added ShowQuestJournalClocksAsCountdown INI setting. Enabling restores quest countdown in journal.
  • Fixed bug in CreateFoe that could hang quest system.
  • Slightly improved attack handling when near static geometry (e.g. doorways). Full fix coming soon.
  • Increased activation distance to help with activating ladders, levers, doors, etc.

CM August
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by CM August » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am

Awesome. I saw the fixes on git; powering through indeed. Great stuff man.

Got a new one while on the rat-hunting quest. Several rats were layered in the one spot, unable to move. The output log prints "Interior has no spawn points - using a random marker" with each placement. The improvised spawning seems to be working fine in other parts of the house besides this spot.

I set about attacking the rat pile, but only the first one went down. No matter how many times or from what angle I swung my sword, I couldn't land a single blow. Of course, they had no trouble hitting me, all while z-fighting with the dead rat like crazy.

R.D.
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by R.D. » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am

Just a heads up that, assuming the live build is using the newest code, there is a bug where the player's armor values will get messed up (doubled) if you save your game in DF Unity with armor equipped and then load that game. And they'll be doubled again if you save and load again, etc. I've already sent a note about this to Interkarma.

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:05 am

R.D. wrote:Just a heads up that, assuming the live build is using the newest code, there is a bug where the player's armor values will get messed up (doubled) if you save your game in DF Unity with armor equipped and then load that game. And they'll be doubled again if you save and load again, etc. I've already sent a note about this to Interkarma.
Thanks for the head-up - quite the unintended consequence. :)

I've reverted that change and will reissue builds shortly.

User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am

CM August wrote:Awesome. I saw the fixes on git; powering through indeed. Great stuff man.

Got a new one while on the rat-hunting quest. Several rats were layered in the one spot, unable to move. The output log prints "Interior has no spawn points - using a random marker" with each placement. The improvised spawning seems to be working fine in other parts of the house besides this spot.

I set about attacking the rat pile, but only the first one went down. No matter how many times or from what angle I swung my sword, I couldn't land a single blow. Of course, they had no trouble hitting me, all while z-fighting with the dead rat like crazy.
Stacks can happen with any of the spawn methods, but are most likely to occur with the "no spawn points" fallback. I'll change how this one works soon.

If it happens again for now, try backing up and training the live mob out of the corpse marker space. You should be able to land a blow once it's in the open. If all else fails, "killall" from console will knock them down.

Post Reply