The Quest Prompt Thread

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: The Quest Prompt Thread

Post by Jay_H »

The legal rep action will be implemented at a later date in DFU. That'll open the door for quests like this :) There isn't a way to track whether the PC stays in or leaves the region, but the idea could be adapted in a few ways.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Daedric Incursion

A powerful warlock has infiltrated the city and opened a portal to oblivion and now daedra are pouring out of that portal, you need to find and kill the warlock to close the portal before the city is overwhelmed.

- daedra will keep constantly spawning as long as the warlock is alive
- the warlock is in one of the buildings in the city
- killing daedra will eventually reveal the location of the warlock, there should also be other ways to reveal the warlocks location
- once the warlock is dead kill off any remaining daedra and go claim your reward
- longer the quest runs the more daedra spawn at once, the quest fails if you take to long to kill the warlock

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sounds like something perfect for Kamer :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

One of my priorities right now is going back into my old quests and creating alternate paths for them. I tend to do these on a 50-50 basis, where the alternate path could appear or could not appear. I believe this will do a lot of good in making Daggerfall Unity less predictable. Usually they have to do with shifts in character alignment. Some examples are:
Spoiler!
A Fighters Guild quest where your hunting partner decides to cheat you out of your magical item reward. You could choose to kill him/her and get the item anyway.

A Fighters Guild quest where you guard a house for a night. You spot a bag of coins and could try to steal it.
There are some quests where I just don't know where to go with them. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them. Alternate choices based on your character's skills are also a great consideration.

Fighters Guild: Go to a residence in another town and kill a vampire for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a dungeon and slay a daedra seducer / daedra lord for a diamond reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a rural farmhome and slay tigers / bears for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to another city and slay spiders / scorpions in the streets for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a dungeon and fight a massive cult for an ancient artifact.
Fighters Guild: Go to another town and slay a raucous member of the Mages Guild for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Leave the city and fight off gargoyles at the perimeter for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a guild hall in another city and slay a notorious bad member for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a remote shack and slay a Necromancer for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a shop in another city and guard it from robbers for a gold reward.

Knight Order: Go to a dungeon and slay poachers who are after an endangered dragonling.
Knight Order: Go to a remote farm and slay criminals.
Knight Order: Go to a dungeon and slay a vampire.
Knight Order: Go to a residence in another town and retrieve evidence to be used in a trial.
Knight Order: Go to a dungeon and kill a criminal, taking back a family heirloom weapon.
Knight Order: Find a murderous daedra in the city with the help of a mage.
Knight Order: Defend a palace from an orc attack.
Knight Order: Slay necromancer giants in a dungeon.
Knight Order: Take a weapon to another knight in a remote city.

I could add more, but you get the idea that these need variation. If anyone has any suggestions of how things could "go wrong" (or go right), or just ways to add skill checks to open up new events in them, I'm all ears.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:34 am
Jay_H wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:07 am I'm trying to get more ideas for simple travel like that without making it too trite. If I did something similar for a temple, would people just consider it "another travel quest?" It'd be better to have some other hook involved in it, but I can't think of anything meaningful.
1) Perhaps guarding a group going on pilgrimage to a shrine, with possible Daedric interference?

2) For a temple-related Commoner quest, guarding someone infected with Lycanthropy to a temple, with a one-to-three-day failure limit (after which, well... ), and the possibility of interference from the clan of lycanthropes who infected them?

3) A particular apparition needs a specific holy item to banish, which as at (shrine, temple, or was lost in dungeon), and you have to return with it. Of course, certain groups might not want it found again...

4) Someone has committed grave sin against their deity. As penance, they must visit three different, randomly-generated (shrines, temples). However, their former fellows do not want them to finish this penance, and are willing to resort to force...

5) Or, related, a vampire hasn't found a cure - However, for living (or close enough) a virtuous life (never drinking blood from people, etc), they have been promised that, as long as they stay at $temple, they will be free from their affliction - not cured, but their vampirism will not affect them there. You must guard them to $temple. Be warned, their former fellows will be after them, to dissuade them, or slay them if they will not be dissuaded.

6) Related to previous quest, a vampire has been peacefully staying under the protection of a temple for (years, decades, centuries). However, (someone they love/a living descendent/a close friend and confidant) has been kidnapped to force them out of that protection. However, having heard of your fame, they are willing to wait X days for you to rescue $Name before going themselves. (This quest and the previous one would be for characters with a high reputation, naturally. :) )

7) The PC themselves are given a pilgrimage to a shrine, and an item to give to the shrine-keeper. Forces may attempt to steal it. (Not much there, but it could turn into a plot about keeping an important item out of the wrong hands; or just be a quest to visit a shrine).

8) $PCName, this is very unfortunate, but we were going through our archives, and, well, it seems that we have $Item. Yes, the same one that $(shrine, temple) has been looking for, for (years, decades, centuries). Could you do us a favour and run this $Item down, along with this formal apology?

9) As it turns out, one of the members of $Guild is actually a (necromancer, lich, vampire). It's quite embarrassing for them, and also very dangerous, so they came to us for help. (Could turn into #4 or #5).

Anyway, some quest ideas, not all of them about travelling. :)

Edit: #5 was inspired by a published World's Most Famous Tabletop RPG story I read, when I was young. :)
Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:35 am Narf, if you don't repost this over in the Quest Prompt Thread I'm going to forget about it when I most need it. This is for your own good!
Clearly, this is all my fault. :P
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thank you :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:12 amThank you :)
It's a great mod. :) Thank you.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazed

Post by Hazed »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 am Fighters Guild: Go to a residence in another town and kill a vampire for a gold reward.
Fighters Guild: Go to a dungeon and slay a daedra seducer / daedra lord for a diamond reward.
Not sure if these ideas fit with what your looking for but off the top of my head...

1 Fighters Guild: Go to a residence in another town and kill a vampire for a gold reward.

Maybe have a chance for the the "vampire" not actually being a vampire and the client just trying to use the fighters guild as would-be Dark Brotherhood (for whatever reason)

the player could decide go with it and kill the innocent or spare the innocent (and maybe that would lead to dealing with the guy who hired the fighters guild)

As for skills not sure (maybe Illusion or intelligence or medical skill) depending on what the scenario is with the client.

Maybe they really went the distance and set up an illusion or some how drugged the player or cursed the victim to trick the player into killing the victim

2 Fighters Guild: Go to a dungeon and slay a daedra seducer / daedra lord for a diamond reward.

Have a chance to have the daedra offer you a really powerful reward/buff (that has a chance with some king of a down side in the future they wouldn't tell you that) not sure what it would be

(from being ambushed by a bunch of dremora lords or being randomly teleported to a new dungeon etc)maybe it would lead to a whole new quest dealing with the results? for letting them go

or (I don't think its possible atm) but maybe have a chance to "charm" them or "bind" them to you (if you happen to have a high Mysticism skill) so they will follow you around and fight for you until they die or possibly break out of the spell

Again not sure if any of these ideas will help but if it gets you thinking of something even a little when it comes to the Alternate choices I will be happy

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

These are great ideas. Thank you for adding them :) As I have time I'll see how I can integrate them in.

Hazed

Post by Hazed »

Glad to hear :) Below just bringing something up that I'm not sure will ever be possible but really hope someone finds a way.

One thing I'm hoping to see one day is difficult missions that take into account the factions you're apart of and rank(Mages /fighters guild/ temples /knight orders ) and you could use your connections to those factions to make said mission possibly easier or change things up at least..

example you have a high level mission from the mages guild to go to four random dungeons to fight high level stuff (for reasons)

before heading out you head to the temple you're apart of and high rank (click on a npc get a pop up asking if you want to ask them for help) you click yes and that takes care of one dungeon you need to do (being high rank they send out the "A team" to handle it)

After that you head to the fighters guild and you happen to be low ranking you ask for help like before but this time they send out the bench warmers (so they have a higher chance of screwing up)

So after doing your part of the mission maybe after a few days you get letters one saying A team is all good and another about B team failing

(one example scenario could be they found the item they needed to find but the fighters guild lost contact with them in <random city> ) you head to the city to find it besieged by a bunch of undead enemies being spawned by the item something like that

I hope I was able to explain what I was thinking just hoping to see more missions take into account the factions you're apart of

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 am
Fighters Guild: Go to a shop in another city and guard it from robbers for a gold reward.

Knight Order: Find a murderous daedra in the city with the help of a mage.

1 Fighters Guild: Go to a shop in another city and guard it from robbers for a gold reward.

One path could be they offer to cut you in the game lets say checks your strength and one of your combat skills if you pass you get a pop up saying something about not being stupid enough to fight you if they can help it.

Maybe the mission now changes to them having you stand guard outside while they rob the place and now you get little event popups while you guard the place after its finished if succeed (you get something telling you what house or npc to talk to for the cut)

for the fighter guild itself its counted as a normal failed mission but if you manage to fail the look out now the fighters guild knows you teamed up with the robbers so the rep loss will be higher or what ever you think is best.

The other path could be (Pretty sure this isn't possible atm) is maybe have the robbers frame the Player(some how... maybe one of the guards is crooked ) and make it so the player has to get away from the guards and once they are free from being chased by the guards they need to find the guys who framed them to clear their name.

2 Knight Order: Find a murderous daedra in the city with the help of a mage.

Path 1 the mage betrays you and uses some spell to bind the daedra to use its power for his own maybe he warps to a dungeon or to another area of the city while having npcs spawning to attack you (while he does his thing powering up or whatever)

If you have a high Mysticism/Intelligence you can stop him and after that you just need to fight the mage and finish off the daedra

Path 2 the Daedra is more a lot more powerful than the Knights order anticipated (got this idea playing a heavily modded skyrim with the vigilant mod)

If the Daedra is in a house once you enter have it teleport you to a random dungeon (the idea is the daedra is warping the world around it)

Maybe with a high enough Illusion/Intelligence stats you get a pop up saying you have a bad feeling maybe you should go get more help with yes (you should go back the the knights order for help) or no go in and get teleported

If you got help maybe you bring back a few more mages now you got a mission to "protect them" from random daedra npc while they cast some spells to get the High level Daedra out of the house so you can kill it.

Now if you get Warped to the dungeon have it so you have to find and kill the daedra (while the game spawns more daedra type npcs on you in the dungeon) maybe at the start have it taunt you and the mage with the pop up messages

(maybe have a chance for the mage to go mad with fear and either attack or run off adding an extra step of either finding the mage and killing him or using way to calm him down and saving him or you could just leave him behind)

Hmm trying to think of the skills that could be used to "calm down" the mage before he goes crazy and runs off maybe Personality / Medical

Also is it possible to make it so you can't leave the dungeon from the exit? or at least warp you back to the same dungeon if you use it? (the whole idea is the Daedra is warping reality)Anyway after you kill it you get teleported back to the city it was at since its no longer warping reality

Now granted the mod I got the idea from said Daedra was Molag bal but still like the idea of the Daedra being a lot more powerful than the knights order was ready for