Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Thank you :) I have two main roadblocks in that regard: the "pick one" function is haywire, so in some quests it'll work perfectly and in others it'll fail >90% of the time; and the "start quest" function so far only relates to main quests. Those are the two big ones I'm waiting on, but spell functions and drop item functions will also be valuable.

If there's something you can think of that I'm neglecting, feel free to echo it off of me to see where we can go :)

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H is the KING OF QUEST !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H

What are the real, false, and night in the quest debugger for ?
I'm still trying to do JHKNOOA (An Orcish Incursion) quest.
They're not going off.
I'm in the town, got the nessage "it's the day".

Its 7p.m.
When is nightime ?
Are they sopposed to go green ?
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Nighttime for now is between 2AM and 5AM. I had to program it for after midnight so that once the "this is the night" message showed up, the resolution would follow quickly after. Otherwise it'd get buggy with improper timing. It should be green any time the time is between 2AM and 5AM.

The engine's supposed to choose one of the two options, _real_ or _false_, when the quest begins. If it isn't, the quest will probably have some difficulties. I just uploaded a different version that I'm hoping will at least make the quest proceed. If it doesn't, then the problem could be more fundamental. It comes down to the "pick one" quest action that has some issues in some circumstances.

With all said though, once you get the "this is the night" message, something should happen within the next 5 hours, for better or for worse :(

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote:Nighttime for now is between 2AM and 5AM. I had to program it for after midnight so that once the "this is the night" message showed up, the resolution would follow quickly after. Otherwise it'd get buggy with improper timing. It should be green any time the time is between 2AM and 5AM.

The engine's supposed to choose one of the two options, _real_ or _false_, when the quest begins. If it isn't, the quest will probably have some difficulties. I just uploaded a different version that I'm hoping will at least make the quest proceed. If it doesn't, then the problem could be more fundamental. It comes down to the "pick one" quest action that has some issues in some circumstances.

With all said though, once you get the "this is the night" message, something should happen within the next 5 hours, for better or for worse :(
Ok Ill just wait till 2 a.m. thank you for the info :)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H
The battle has been joined !

Success !
Attachments
Down with the Orcs !.jpg
Down with the Orcs !.jpg (364.77 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Whew! I was worried a little there. That blank spot in the first line of dialogue is something I just fixed, so next time it shouldn't show up like that.

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote:Whew! I was worried a little there. That blank spot in the first line of dialogue is something I just fixed, so next time it shouldn't show up like that.

I'm making a video of this one :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Midknightprince
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am
Location: San Antonio TX
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H
And that Litch quest.
Where he's haunting that dungeon "if" I can make it out of there alive ;)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am
Contact:

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

JHDB007: Dark Brotherhood quest. Find a mark inside a residence in another town who hired a bodyguard. Slay the mark and return.

I made this as a parallel to the Fighters Guild "Standard Protection" job, but only after finishing it did I realize it doesn't fit. In Standard Protection, the mark is safe until he/she steps outside. I'm planning on doing that as its own version, but I wanted to include this quest since I already finished it. Basic but functional.

And with that we now have 40 custom quests in Daggerfall Unity. 203 left to go.
Midknightprince wrote:@Jay_H
And that Litch quest.
Where he's haunting that dungeon "if" I can make it out of there alive ;)
Above all others, I want to see someone try this quest. Surviving without console commands would be a huge thrill to me :D

Post Reply