Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not sure how many of the quests will work under 76, but you can give them a shot. All quests can be gotten from the Fighters Guild questgiver, or you can use the "startquest" command in the console.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H

THIS !

Brilliant, they ALL work.
I can confirm that (on my end anyways) in build #76 + all the old ones are showing up too.
Oh it's just super cool !
Attachments
Headed out
Headed out
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.26 - 04.22.16.90.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 4164 times
Stuff is spawning in daytime
Stuff is spawning in daytime
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.26 - 04.31.23.07.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4164 times
Done
Done
Desktop Screenshot 2017.08.26 - 04.32.45.52.png (880.47 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Excellent! Good to see things are chugging along :) That quest in particular is something I'm somewhat proud of, though I'll have to see how the spawn rates work when randomly spawned enemies cause rest interruptions. (And apparently you're unaffected by the hurricane, which is also good.) Thanks for giving it a shot.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

KNDFU005: Knightly Order quest. The town guard neglected to pick up a piece of evidence in a murder, and the PC is asked to get it.

This is the first quest with item-based actions, and I think it's all right. Also, I originally made the piece of evidence a weapon, but some weapons are invisible in live gameplay.
Last edited by Jay_H on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

TGDFU001: Thieves Guild quest. A particularly inept member stole from someone important and then ran to the guild hall to try to get rid of the heat. The PC is asked to hide the object away for several weeks amid serious daily mercenary attacks. Big gold reward.

Running is really recommended, since the number and skill of the enemies is a serious threat. It'll be even worse when they can cast spells.

The final image is a "denial text" I'm going to be including in my quests. It's made possible by Interkarma's failsafe that ensures you don't get a quest reward too soon. I think it could be useful to redirect the player towards what they should be doing, together with the journal.

Known limitation: the relic will stay in the PC's inventory after the quest ends.

All my quests are now going to be in the first post of this topic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

KNDFU006: Someone has murdered an innocent citizen and stolen a family heirloom, a weapon. The PC is sent to a dungeon to slay the enemy and bring the momento back to the questgiver.

This was a mess to program. Apparently Daggerfall will always treat "give anItem to aFoe" as a setup action and never as a conditional one, so you can't mix "pick one" and "give anItem to" for various hypothetical enemies. It looks like it's bug-free now, but who knows what testing will tell.

Known limitation: the weapon will stay in the PC's inventory after the quest ends.

From now on, all my quests will be available from a Google Drive link at the start of this topic so both forum members and outsiders can download it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:One idea for Dark Brotherhood's quests would be to include many more town based contracts. I always found it weird how you are constantly send to dungeons for assassins' guild quests, at least for low reputation tasks. Some darker and more sinister assassinations are in order, I think!

Some ideas:
- Quest to assassinate a Knight who's trying to be a hero. Can find him in Knightly order building. Lowers reputation with this Order.
- Quest to assassinate a Thief who stole from a wrong guy. Can find him in Thieves guild building. Lowers reputation with the TG.
- Quest to kill a Priest whose sermons have annoyed too many people. Can find him in the Temple. Lowers reputation with the Temple.
- Quest to assassinate a Barbarian who slept with a wrong woman. Can find him in one of the Taverns. Doesn't lower reputation :P

Just simple low reputation contracts which don't involve dungeon crawling. They all can have some catchy cliche dialogs as well, like the Knight telling you that he will "Smite all evildoers!" when you attack him, or Priest shouting "Blasphemer! Repent for your sins!", etc.
Your request is fulfilled.

DBDFU002: This introductory Dark Brotherhood quest will send you to kill one of four random marks within the same city. (Original version)

There were a couple of limitations present. Currently, Daggerfall can't directly choose a specific type of guild building to go to; it'll choose randomly among the various guild buildings, so pointing directly at a Thieves Guild or Knightly Order with 100% consistency isn't yet possible. To compensate, I placed the knight in a random building in the city, and the thief in a local residence.

I had written all four quests into one because I figured it would save me some effort, and I think it did, but this took a long time! It kind of looks like a mess when implemented, but that's only because we have debug tools turned on. Once quests play as in classic you won't notice the clutter.

I didn't follow the dialogue suggestions precisely, so I may change that in the future if I find good ways to do so.
Last edited by Jay_H on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

This introductory Dark Brotherhood quest will send you to kill one of four random marks within the same city.
It's a good step forward, thank you very much for your work. Though I feel that maybe it would work better in the future as separate quests for two reasons:
1) More unique touches to the quest - different description when you get it, different buildings, different results, etc.
2) Bigger chance to get this type of the quest early on

But thank you for your work, I'll test them out when I'll download the latest build, for sure! :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:I feel that maybe it would work better in the future as separate quests for two reasons:
1) More unique touches to the quest - different description when you get it, different buildings, different results, etc.
2) Bigger chance to get this type of the quest early on

But thank you for your work, I'll test them out when I'll download the latest build, for sure! :D
I had a worry of diluting the value of it by making the same task across four quests. On the subject of the reputation ranges, when splitting them into four quests, then they'd probably have a range of 0 to 30, to ensure there's plenty of opportunity to see them all before the PC ranks out of tem.

But I believe your point is good. I'll split it into four when I have a chance. If there are more unique things you want added, I'm ready to hear them; everything after the introductory offer is fully alterable, so even though they all follow the same path right now I can easily add or change steps in any of the four.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

But I believe your point is good. I'll split it into four when I have a chance. If there are more unique things you want added, I'm ready to hear them; everything after the introductory offer is fully alterable, so even though they all follow the same path right now I can easily add or change steps in any of the four.
I don't believe that many quests need to be really unique, simply due to their repetitive nature. They are more of "Here, I'll mark it on your map!"

They all can have different details about them, like dialogues and descriptions, which can really set the tone for the whole thing, but it would be especially cool to introduce random elements into quests. For example, when you attack the target, there is a chance he'll call his friends for backup. But maybe not - you just don't know. And in 75% cases, it wouldn't happen, but in 25% it would.

That kind of dynamic might be very interesting to play, as it would keep most quests fairly generic while adding some variability and randomness to them. But it's probably not possible right now, am I right? :?: Maybe one day.