[DFUnity] Russian translation

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
CrazyCyrodilicCat

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

Oh. I guessed it was a transliteration and I was even ready to write a program to translate it into human language, but the problems caught up with me earlier. So far, I've tripped over the fonts. The game doesn't want to see the Cyrillic font, even when I replaced the regular sdf font with the Cyrillic.

ararat

Problems with Russian translation

Post by ararat »

Build Used: 03-Mar-2019 PreAlpha 0.7.65
Used installation: https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?t ... llSetup_EN (DaggerfallSetup-2.15.0.exe)
Used translation: http://tes.ag.ru/dagger/files/dfrus.shtml (Daggerfall RUS Pack 1.04.1)

Google: Hello. The problem is as follows. I installed the original version of the game by reference, and on top of it I installed a Russian translation by reference. The game became in Russian and everything was fine. But once you start the game through your build, the translation breaks right away. Instead of ordinary Russian letters, English is beginning to be used, but written in the Russian keyboard layout! Because of this, it becomes almost impossible to understand the essence of the tasks and the plot, and it is also impossible in this way to find the desired location on the map. Do you plan to adapt your build for Russian translation? And can anything be done at this stage? Thank.

Yandex: Hi. The problem is this. Installed the original version of the game on the link, and on top of it installed the Russian translation of the link. The game was in Russian and everything was fine. But once you run the game through your Assembly, as the translation immediately breaks down. Instead of the usual Russian letters begin to be used English, but written in the Russian keyboard layout! Because of this, it becomes almost impossible to understand the essence of the tasks and the plot, as well as it is impossible to find the desired location on the map. Do you plan to adapt your build to Russian translation? And can anything be done at this stage? Thanks.

Interkarma

Re: Problems with Russian translation

Post by Interkarma »

Translations for Daggerfall Unity are handled differently from classic. These should eventually be delivered via the modding system. There are likely specific technical requirements that will need to be addressed for each language. This will start sometime after Daggerfall Unity exits pre-alpha and has broad gameplay parity with classic.

Please check the Translation forum for discussions around this. The community leader for all translation efforts is Deepfighter.

I'll move this one into the Translation forum now so it gets the visibility it needs.

Deepfighter

Re: Problems with Russian translation

Post by Deepfighter »

ararat wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 pm Google: Hello. The problem is as follows. I installed the original version of the game by reference, and on top of it I installed a Russian translation by reference. The game became in Russian and everything was fine. But once you start the game through your build, the translation breaks right away. Instead of ordinary Russian letters, English is beginning to be used, but written in the Russian keyboard layout! Because of this, it becomes almost impossible to understand the essence of the tasks and the plot, and it is also impossible in this way to find the desired location on the map. Do you plan to adapt your build for Russian translation? And can anything be done at this stage? Thank.

Yandex: Hi. The problem is this. Installed the original version of the game on the link, and on top of it installed the Russian translation of the link. The game was in Russian and everything was fine. But once you run the game through your Assembly, as the translation immediately breaks down. Instead of the usual Russian letters begin to be used English, but written in the Russian keyboard layout! Because of this, it becomes almost impossible to understand the essence of the tasks and the plot, as well as it is impossible to find the desired location on the map. Do you plan to adapt your build to Russian translation? And can anything be done at this stage? Thanks.
The problem you refer to is that you use the Russian Translation patch which is intended for the classic (original) Daggerfall. Daggerfall Unity grabs his information from different sources right now, and not everything from the classic installation (see here). This means for example that the strings in the TEXT.RSC like class descriptions should be in Russian (if originally translated), but other texts may be in English as DFUnity takes them not from the game files itself. That is the reason why every classic translation has to be adjusted to work completely with DFUnity, which hasn't been done yet for the Russian one. You may have two possibilities, work with the Russian-English Mix DFUnity or play Classic Daggerfall with the Russian translation.

Google Translate: Проблема, на которую вы ссылаетесь, заключается в том, что вы используете патч на русский перевод, предназначенный для классического (оригинального) Daggerfall. Daggerfall Unity собирает информацию из разных источников прямо сейчас, но не все из классической установки (см. Здесь). Это означает, например, что строки в TEXT.RSC, такие как описания классов, должны быть на русском языке (если они изначально переведены), но другие тексты могут быть на английском, так как DFUnity берет их не из файлов самой игры. Вот почему каждый классический перевод должен быть настроен так, чтобы полностью работать с DFUnity, что еще не было сделано для русского. У вас может быть две возможности: поработать с русско-английским миксом DFUnity или сыграть в Classic Daggerfall с русским переводом.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Koncord

Post by Koncord »

Hello, comrades! I'm working on the translation from scratch. For the current state of StringTable-based localization, it's looking more like translated via Google Translate :D.
Spoiler!
Screenshot.PNG
Screenshot.PNG (694.22 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
If you'd like to join in the process, let me know.

Lolilisa

Post by Lolilisa »

Koncord wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 am If you'd like to join in the process, let me know.
OK. I'm in.
But why not use old good translation?

Jovan Garza

Post by Jovan Garza »

Hello! I found this forum via a link in the issue "Russian Localization" on Github (daggerfall-unity project). And his - on the site dfworkshop.net in the news "Using Steam Release of Daggerfall with Daggerfall Unity - Updated!" dated June 11, 2022.

From the discussion in this thread, do I understand correctly that a full Russian translation for Daggerfall Unity does not yet exist?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hello! :)

That is correct. We have no Russian translation yet -- but the capability is being added into DFU in this phase. If anyone wants to work on preparing a Russian localization, DFU will be ready in the future for it.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I've already got my Penwick Papers mod built for easy localization, I've just been waiting for someone to drop an actual game translation for another language.

Lamia

Post by Lamia »

Hello, I am a professional Russian translator/linguist, and I'd love to make a proper localisation for DFU.

However using Unity tools seems a bit too complicated to me, so it would be great is someone could compile in-game text into easily editable format so I could replace the plain text with translation, and it could be importer in game.

If someone is up to such a tedious task, please leave a reply or write me to Slithernes#6074 in Discord.
Thanks.