A New Main Quest BETA

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
andromacus

Re: A New Main Quest BETA

Post by andromacus »

Hello Jay_H,

just wish to say that I've almost completed your version of the main quest and I think it is a huge improvement compared to the original main quest; now everything is much more linear and the overall story makes sense. Thanks a lot for this!

Just a personal thought, in case you would like to keep into account. I'm now playing the Journey to Aetherious final quest, which I know is part of the original version and not your personal creation. Personally I find this quest (and I mean the original quest in itself, not the fact that you left it in your version) a complete non sense: virtually impossible to be done by a non magic character and without using tricks and consulting a tutorial. Have you ever thought to replace this quest with another final but more "standard" dungeon? For example, Medora may have hidden the Mantellan Crux in some other place (e.g. Lysandus Tomb, which I think it is unused in your version)? I think this would make your version even more enjoyable. Just a personal opinion, anyway :)

Thanks as usual for your work!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. I don't intend to make that change right now, since ANMQ sort of echoes the original main quest without significantly altering it; I'd need a good reason why the Mantella, or something with its power, would be in Lysandus' Tomb.

Generally, people try to make sure they have a source of levitation prior to entering the Mantellan Crux. If it's really lacking, you can still climb and jump up the starry walls to get to most places (though you have to be pretty precise). As for the bizarre puzzles, I'm with you on that :lol:

There is the other side of the quest line I may write someday, if I think of a good story for it. If I do, then perhaps I might use Lysandus' Tomb in it. I can't promise that right now, but I'll keep it in mind ;)

Thank you for the praise! It was a fairly quick project I created in a week (it's really more of a tech demo than a finished product IMO) but I'm glad people are finding it a good alternative to the original main quest!

risk

Post by risk »

hi Andromacus, just wondering what level did you get to when completing this new main quest beta, and did you feel you had to spend lots of hours 'building up' your character the same was in the original main storyline? or is it something that you can kind of breeze through in a linear fashion and end up doing with a low level character?

did you use any other significant gameplay mods, like kab's spells?

i'm interested in doing this playthrough - but would like to know what i'm getting into in terms of time to put in!

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Hi Risk,

generally I found this new version much easier and straightforward than the original one (which, by the way, I never managed to complete). My character arrived at level 12, so I don't think there is really the need to invest too long in the power up. I cannot really estimate how many hours I played so far, but to give you an hint my usual gameplay was to do 2 or 3 random quests (for a guild or some NPCs) and then 1 of the main quest.

I haven't used any particular gameplay mod, but I can say I found very helpful the "Skill Books" one. This allows you to get some experience in shorter time. I also played so far with a pure fighter character, so I was able to do it without magic (other than those of the random magic items I found).

The only issue I really found, as I wrote above, is with the very last quest (which anyway you will find in the original version too). That is simply impossible to do for me with my character, so I'm using tricks and tutorials to get out of it as soon as I can. So, definitely I would recommend to give to this alternate main quest a try.

Let me know in case you need other information

risk

Post by risk »

thank you Andromacus.

that sounds just about right in terms of gameplay duration, although i'm the kind of player that really likes to immerse myself in the character experience - which has the unintended effect of making the characters a bit too 'levelled up' and strong past the mid-way point. i guess i could not do too many quests (although i do like trying to access higher rankings in guilds), and not grind so much for skill development.

it also sounds to me that ending the game at around level 12 to 15 sounds just about right.

yes, i wrote in another thread about how i found certain main quests very unsatisfying in the original game - castle llugwych, castle sentinel, having to go back to direnni tower repeatedly - they just seemed like random puzzles that no one would really want to go through. the final quest is the worst - it makes no sense from a role playing or game play perspective.

so i kind of wondered if this new main quest would avoid some of those issues - and it sounds like it does!