Bossfall: Unleveled [now a .dfmod!]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: Bossfall: Unleveled [Fork of Daggerfall Unity, not a .dfmod]

Post by Interkarma »

This is a spin-off from Daggerfall Unity's source code - technically a whole new game - rather than a mod. But happy to move into Released Mods for now to help with discoverability.

My only condition for this to be in Released Mods is the tag remains in subject line so that downloaders know this is a separate version of the game not created or maintained by myself / Daggerfall Workshop.

If anyone requires support using this build, please post here and not in Help & Support. Thank you. :)

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Thanks Interkarma. I added a section about support to the first post - i totally forgot to add one the first time around.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Roleplay and Realism: Items is likely the cause for the worn and used item drops. If you've got the "Realistic Enemy Equipment" option enabled with RPR:I, enemy loot is generated already damaged - turn that option off to always get shiny new Daedric items.

I've been hard at work on Bossfall v1.2. Here's a sneak peek at some new features:

BANKING:
Player can only have one bank loan at a time
Defaulting on a loan will permanently ban player from ever getting another loan from any region

COMBAT:
Hand-to-Hand skill reworked
Gauntlet/boot armor material buffs your H2H to-hit, scales just like vanilla weapon materials
Gauntlet material buffs punch to-hit, boot material buffs kick to-hit
Successful H2H attacks damage gauntlet/boot durability based on whether attack is punch/kick
Wearing Silver gauntlets/boots allows you to ​damage ghosts/wraiths/etc. with H2H
If player is in wereform they can damage enemies that are normally immune to H2H

DISEASE/POISON:
Assassin poison will now bypass player's Poison Immunity (didn't work in v1.1 correctly)

DUNGEON ENCOUNTER TABLES:
Rewrote all encounter tables for better readability
Minor changes to what enemies spawn where

ITEMS:
Rebalanced weapon durability, all weapon types use the same scale
Daggers have more durability, bows slightly more, Long Blades/Axes/Blunt Weapons much less
Shop quality now has huge impact on available items
Fancy clothing and expensive-looking items are not available in low-quality shops
Cuirasses, gauntlets, tower shields, and best-in-slot weapons are not in low-quality shops

LOOT:
Changed high tier material chances - non-boss humans and Daedra will not drop good loot as often
High level bosses (anything other than Liches or Vampires) have greater chance of dropping Daedric

MAGIC ITEMS:
Regular magic items can have Recall, Pacify, and Charm as Cast When Used powers

NON-DUNGEON ENCOUNTER TABLES:
Rewrote every outdoor encounter table for more variety and realism, full list of what goes where is too long to post here
Nymphs, Tigers, and Spiders prefer hot climates
Centaurs, Bears, and Giants prefer cold climates
Orcs prefer the heat (they don't dress very warmly) but can be occasionally found in colder climates
Scorpions and Dragonlings are only in deserts, no other non-magical creature can survive the heat
Rangers are the only humans brave (or stupid) enough to wander through desert wilderness

SKILLS:
I went overboard on skill difficulty in v1.1
All combat/spell skills easier to level than before

There are lots of other changes and bugfixes, and I'll put those in the v1.2 changelog. I still need to add special Holy items - I want to make Holy Water cast Dispel Undead (only once) and Holy Daggers and Tomes cast Dispel Undead and Dispel Daedra (they will have 3 charges). They will be the player's last line of defense in case they run into a Vampire Ancient and they're not prepared for the fight.

I won't give a time deadline for the release (anything could happen), but it'll likely be in the next week or so. I'm excited!
Last edited by Osorkon on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Hmm, it sounds like that mixture of mod options is doing something I'm not aware of. I'll try it out with those specific options enabled and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm really glad you're having so much fun! I expanded the spawn variety a lot because I wanted the bosses to be pretty rare, and the vanilla spawn chances were way too high. Also, I thought the woods should be full of woodland creatures and not random people - vanilla spawn choices didn't make much sense to me.

Watch out for those Assassins :D

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Bossfall v.1.2 is out! Available at NexusMods.

COPYRIGHT NOTE: Bossfall v1.1 used some work and code from three mods - Hazelnut and Ralzar's "Roleplay and Realism: Items", Jay_H's "Unleveled Mobs and Quests", and Ralzar's "Meaner Monsters". I didn't want this to get in the way of a NexusMods release (I never got permission from these authors to re-publish their work on NexusMods), so I removed all traces of their work and code from Bossfall v1.2. I also removed Bossfall v1.1 from my GitHub's releases page. All Bossfall changes and additions to the DFU source code are now mine and mine alone.

I know 0.13.4 is in the works but I didn't have the patience to wait, so v1.2 is once again using DaggerfallUnity 0.12.3. Once 0.13.4 is released, I'll re-release Bossfall v1.2 using the new DFU version on NexusMods.

There are lots of cool new features in v1.2. Here are some important changes:

BOSSES:

Assassin poison bypasses player's Poison Immunity (didn't work right in v1.1)
Large Assassin damage nerf now that they bypass Poison Immunity
Large Daedra Lord melee damage nerf to better match damage of other bosses

COMBAT:

Hand-to-Hand skill reworked
Glove and boot armor material give H2H to-hit bonuses, scales just like vanilla weapon materials. Gauntlet material affects punch to-hit, boot material affects kick to-hit
Silver gauntlets/boots damage enemies weak to Silver if using H2H
Player's gauntlets/boots take durability damage from H2H attacks, damage depends on whether attack is punch/kick
These H2H to-hit buffs work with "Roleplay & Realism: Items" armor

COMBAT MECHANICS:

Non-sentient or stupid enemies always charge player
Archers/Rangers never voluntarily move into melee range, prefer to hang back and pepper player with arrows, they'll always retreat if player charges them

DUNGEON ENCOUNTER TABLES:

Minor changes to what enemies spawn where, rewrote all encounter tables to remove use of Jay_H's "Unleveled Mobs and Quests"

ENEMIES:

Minor adjustments to monster stats, also removed all traces of Ralzar's "Meaner Monsters"
Human enemies are unleveled once player hits level 7 (2 levels higher than v1.1)
Human enemies switch to H2H if that's more effective than their weapon, thus they do way more damage at higher levels
Human enemy armor correctly scales with their level (I did it wrong in v1.1)
Orc Shamans/regular Dragonlings buffed
Orc Sergeants/Lamia nerfed

GAMEPLAY:

Pickpocketing is successful less often but player can pilfer up to 100 Gold

ITEMS:

No longer using any item stats from Hazelnut & Ralzar's "Roleplay & Realism: Items"
Material generation chances fixed, Daedric possible from any enemy, store, or loot pile (major error in v1.1)
Rebalanced weapon durabilities, all weapons use same scale
Daggers/Bows slightly more durable, Long Blades/Axes/Blunt Weapons much less durable

LOOT:

Gauntlets are generated as regular enemy loot

MAGIC ITEMS:

Holy Water, Holy Daggers, and Holy Tomes cast Dispel Undead/Undead/Daedra on use, have 1/3/3 charges
These new Holy items generate as normal in high quality Pawn Shops, in random enemy loot, and in loot piles & house containers
Most useless magic item powers replaced, some names changed
"Item of Teleportation" has Recall as Cast when Used power
Pacify Undead/Humanoid/Animal and Charm added as Cast when Used powers (in case you can't outrun a boss)
Dispel Magic is now a potion, recipes spawn normally (so you can get rid of Continuous Damage effects)
Potions of Restore Power restore 50 Magicka, don't scale with player level

NON-DUNGEON ENCOUNTER TABLES:

Rewrote every encounter table for better climate transitions and variety, and to remove use of Jay_H's "Unleveled Mobs and Quests"
Mountain Woods use Mountain spawn tables in town at night and in the wilderness during the day, use new, unique encounter table in wilderness at night
Swamps use Rainforest encounter tables

SHOPS:

Reduced overall item generation chances in shops, shop quality has huge impact on what's available
Fancy clothing and expensive-looking items are only in high quality shops
Cuirasses, gauntlets, tower shields, and best-in-slot weapons are not in low quality shops
General stores stock less armor

SKILLS:

In v1.1 I went way overboard on skill advancement difficulty
Weapon/spell skills easier to level
Running will correctly level up at higher Running skill levels (broken in v1.1)

There are lots of other minor tweaks and changes, the full changelog is attached to the initial forum post. If anyone is curious as to how I implemented these changes, I've begun adding [OSORKON] comments to the changed scripts available at my GitHub so you can easily find what I've changed. I've added comments to everything I've changed in FormulaHelper and EnemyEntity so far, more comments will be added in the future.

Good luck!
Last edited by Osorkon on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

My pleasure! I'm having a lot of fun adding cool stuff.

I made some changes to item material chances and I hope I fixed the "Daedric always generates in New condition" problem with Roleplay & Realism mod settings. I tried the specific settings you mentioned after I made some changes and Daedric generated from bosses in Worn and Used condition like normal with Roleplay & Realism: Items. I only checked Daedric generation from bosses, so if you still see the problem let me know.

yabay

Post by yabay »