Enhanced Sky

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: Enhanced Sky

Post by Interkarma »

Marlhin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:08 pm I am on Linux and Enhanced Sky, unfortunately, does not work when retro rendering is active. I only see the classic pixelated skytexture and the whole world is black. Disabling retro rendering makes Enhanced Sky work as intended, though.
Can you please confirm that you're using DFU 0.13.3 and Enhanced Sky 3.0.2?

Something to try is setting your desired retro mode then closing and restarting game. Depending on version of mod, and how it combines with other mods, the runtime retro mode and aspect switching might not be compatible and require a game restart.

Marlhin

Post by Marlhin »

Yes, I do indeed have DF Unity 0.13.3 with Enhanced Sky 3.0.2.

How do I change the rendering mode during runtime? I just went into settings.ini in the config folder under

Code: Select all

~/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall\ Workshop/Daggerfall\ Unity/
and changed the retro rendering line to

Code: Select all

RetroRenderingMode = 1
I only edited the settings.ini after I have closed the game.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Marlhin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:57 am How do I change the rendering mode during runtime? I just went into settings.ini in the config folder under
Retro rendering can be changed in the post-processing settings ingame.

Press ESC to open the options window. Then, on the upper left of the screen, there is a small arrow. Click it and open the settings there. In the retro rendering section, choose the mode you want.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 pm Classic Daggerfall outputs at 320x200, which has a 16:10 aspect ratio. On 4:3 CRT displays the closest resolution is 320x240. This results in output signal being stretched 20% vertically and it's expected to see vertical stretching in this relationship. Many games intentionally drew their art a bit fatter to compensate. Some more details about this here.

(...)

So what's the solution for you if you don't want the sky to stretch? One possibility is to select 16:10 retro mode aspect instead. This is a 1:1 upscale and does not stretch 20% vertically. Another is for someone to add adjustable FOV setting to SkyCam in Enhanced Sky. Then users will have some control over how wide the sun looks relative to world.
Okay, thanks for the reminder. It is a bit confusing and I tend to forget these details.

So, if I understand correctly:

1.) Showing the 320x200 to 4:3 in retro rendering shows the historically intended view (i.e. that everything is strechted is correct, because the graphics were created with this stretching in mind).

2.) When I would use 16:10 retro mode, the graphics would not be shown in the historically correct way, but the sky's sun would look better.

3.) So the proper way, it seems, would be that the Enhanced Sky mod takes the historically intended stretching into account.

By the way, I would love if the view could be shown in 4:3 also if NOT using retro rendering.

Marlhin

Post by Marlhin »

haloterm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 am Retro rendering can be changed in the post-processing settings ingame.

Press ESC to open the options window. Then, on the upper left of the screen, there is a small arrow. Click it and open the settings there. In the retro rendering section, choose the mode you want.
Thank you very much! Well, Enhanced Sky seems to work when changing rendering mode to retro rendering on runtime. Very strange that it does not work when editing the settings file and starting the game again.

EDIT: Ok, after I restarted the game the problem (the world is black or white, depends on the time of day and the skytexture is the default one) persists. Changing the rendering mode (from standard retro rendering to anything else and back again) during runtime fixes it, though. Weird...

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Not sure whether it is known, but Enhanced Sky does not work when switching LargeHUD in the retro mode - it goes all white. (Outside the retro mode it works fine.) The Sky can be fixed by switching the retro mode off and on again.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

It would be cool if we could adjust the look of the sky to be a little more fantasy. Like how Namek has a green sky and blue grass in dragonballz, makes it feel really alien.

When i compare vanilla to enhanced theres a lot of atmosphere lost

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Someone pls remake this mod :) Aka update so it looks and works better, includes all weathers (and more weathers) - smooth transitions... this is still more of a placeholder

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I actually prefer the vanilla sky for better atmosphere, but it makes me motion sick so i am almost forced to use this mod.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:09 am I actually prefer the vanilla sky for better atmosphere, but it makes me motion sick so i am almost forced to use this mod.
Everybody is, motionsickness vanilla is a no go.. good for screenshots. If we get a PROPER wether system (like mods for skyrim) not many ppl would preffer vanilla anymore. I start to wish this mod vanished so we would be forced to create new and better one..