[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Nystul »

on windows I cannot reproduce issues with this mod/settings combination - strange

pango

Post by pango »

I couldn't reproduce it under Windows either, even with -force-opengl.

I also tested DFU 0.10.24 + Distant Terrain 2.6.1 + EnhancedSky 2.1.2 in retro mode, same bug. So at least it's not a regression from Unity 2018.2 -> Unity 2019.4.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

blackie

Post by blackie »

In Wrothgarian Mountains the terrain is very jagged.
2020_12_26_12_36_46.jpg
2020_12_26_12_36_46.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
2020_12_26_12_35_42.jpg
2020_12_26_12_35_42.jpg (140.79 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
It makes the travel through such terrain unpleasant. Would be nice if it was fixed or a setting added that would allow to alter this.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

noted, not sure though, when I will have the time and motivation to work on the next version

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Was also just exploring the high mountains in Unity Editor and the game crashed with the following exception:

Code: Select all

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
DistantTerrain.DistantTerrain.GenerateTerrainTransitionRing () (at <0f40b698e7b344e0884654b3cb984018>:0)
DistantTerrain.DistantTerrain.Update () (at <0f40b698e7b344e0884654b3cb984018>:0)
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

In the past I used to be able to go into the settings of this mod (I believe) and set the terrain distance to a number I desired beyond the 4 setting in DFU advanced. But such a setting isn't there anymore. How do I extend the render distance of this mod even further? Thanks.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hi there. I was wondering if the "weird" texturing and look is due to something my own mod is changing or normal for DT:

The Terrain height looks blocky and the texturing of the distant terrain as well. It looks a bit like low res textures stretched over a mile of surface. Is this normal or due to my own mod/other mods? (see mod list and scripts I changed for more info)

The ocean distinctly looks different from the water closer to the player.

I am using:

Distant Terrain
Interesting Terrain

and my own Mod is implementing a different ITerrainTexturing and ITerrainNature as well as a custom TilemapTextureArrayTerrainMaterialProvider.
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 am Hi there. I was wondering if the "weird" texturing and look is due to something my own mod is changing or normal for DT:

The Terrain height looks blocky and the texturing of the distant terrain as well. It looks a bit like low res textures stretched over a mile of surface. Is this normal or due to my own mod/other mods? (see mod list and scripts I changed for more info)

The ocean distinctly looks different from the water closer to the player.

I am using:

Distant Terrain
Interesting Terrain

and my own Mod is implementing a different ITerrainTexturing and ITerrainNature as well as a custom TilemapTextureArrayTerrainMaterialProvider.
That looks normal for DT. It's just exaggerated when using IT because the terrain is so tall and diverse. The water thing is normal for DT too. It's a small price to pay for distant terrain being rendered so far. Unless someone can come up with a fix but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker in a game with Daggerfalls graphics.

And yes it's a low res texture being stretched over a large area. This is because the distant terrain is extremely low poly to save on performance. So the texture is just being stretched between very far apart vertices, of which there are like only 10 per mountain I think.

DT renders out to a terrain distance of 7 (or whatever the setting in DFU is +3?) I think, and then the rest is low poly convincing terrain extrapolated from the heightmap added into the background. There was some experimentation I think early on rendering terrain distance out to as far as 14? If I remember correctly but it was too heavy on performance.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 am That looks normal for DT. It's just exaggerated when using IT because the terrain is so tall and diverse. The water thing is normal for DT too. It's a small price to pay for distant terrain being rendered so far. Unless someone can come up with a fix but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker in a game with Daggerfalls graphics.

And yes it's a low res texture being stretched over a large area. This is because the distant terrain is extremely low poly to save on performance. So the texture is just being stretched between very far apart vertices, of which there are like only 10 per mountain I think.

DT renders out to a terrain distance of 7 (or whatever the setting in DFU is +3?) I think, and then the rest is low poly convincing terrain extrapolated from the heightmap added into the background. There was some experimentation I think early on rendering terrain distance out to as far as 14? If I remember correctly but it was too heavy on performance.
Wouldn't it be possible to increase the UV coordinates of the texture used for the distant terrain by a factor of 10 or 20 to create the same look despite having fewer vertices?
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am
Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 am That looks normal for DT. It's just exaggerated when using IT because the terrain is so tall and diverse. The water thing is normal for DT too. It's a small price to pay for distant terrain being rendered so far. Unless someone can come up with a fix but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker in a game with Daggerfalls graphics.

Wouldn't it be possible to increase the UV coordinates of the texture used for the distant terrain by a factor of 10 or 20 to create the same look despite having fewer vertices?
Most likely, but I don't know how one would do that with mods in this game. I assume it uses coding to make the distant terrain model and not pre-baked models, and I'm terrible at any programming that isn't Visual Basic lol.