[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Nystul »

Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am Wouldn't it be possible to increase the UV coordinates of the texture used for the distant terrain by a factor of 10 or 20 to create the same look despite having fewer vertices?
I tried this of course but it just results in extreme texture flimmering since to aliasing issues and floating point precision issues

thx Jarlyjarljarl for summarizing pretty well how DT works in principle, only thing to add is that DT barely increases standard terrain distance for near terrain (DFU's terrain) - it just uses 1 extra terrain distance unit in case terrain transition is active to blend between near and far terrain

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Nystul wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:44 am
Daniel87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am Wouldn't it be possible to increase the UV coordinates of the texture used for the distant terrain by a factor of 10 or 20 to create the same look despite having fewer vertices?
I tried this of course but it just results in extreme texture flimmering since to aliasing issues and floating point precision issues

thx Jarlyjarljarl for summarizing pretty well how DT works in principle, only thing to add is that DT barely increases standard terrain distance for near terrain (DFU's terrain) - it just uses 1 extra terrain distance unit in case terrain transition is active to blend between near and far terrain
Did you try something along the lines of using plain colors instead of textures for the distant terrain? I wonder how that would look, when adding a slight flog bluring it a bit.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

in the very beginning - but it looked boring

but feel free to experiment with it - distant terrain code is on github here: https://github.com/Nystul-the-Magician/ ... antTerrain