[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm PS From what I'm reading it is asynchronous though, so it shouldn't block the game during its whole execution. mmh.
Assuming it's anything like later Java GCs, a parallel collector still needs to block other threads during 2 phases of the overall process. Unfortunately while I'm a moderate expert on Java GCs (prior to java 8) I know nothing about C# GCs. :oops:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 pm
pango wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm PS From what I'm reading it is asynchronous though, so it shouldn't block the game during its whole execution. mmh.
Assuming it's anything like later Java GCs, a parallel collector still needs to block other threads during 2 phases of the overall process.[...]
Right, hence my careful choice of words... walking stacks is not something you want to do on live processes, for example.
Anyway, that means that the timings logged by UnloadUnusedAssets() may be a poor indicator of how much your program is impacted by assets gc.
Also, what happens if one calls gc in rapid fire like I did for this benchmark? That could very well be meaningless, even if the timings above look similar to what I've seen in normal game logs...
So, sorry for the noise :oops:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

these are interesting and valuable findings.
Regarding DT mod I am not sure if it is a good idea to remove the UnloadUnusedAssets() call. People were reporting in the past that they get crashes if it isn't called after walking around for some time

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Nystul wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am these are interesting and valuable findings.
Regarding DT mod I am not sure if it is a good idea to remove the UnloadUnusedAssets() call. People were reporting in the past that they get crashes if it isn't called after walking around for some time
It sounds like you're calling it once per terrain gen? Maybe call it once every four? Or let people use a setting?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not sure how often core calls it but dt mod only calls it when player moves to new map pixel

does anyone know if this call must happen in the unity main thread? I fear so but if not we could try to do it in a separate thread

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'll take a look with the profiler and report back what it shows. (or my interpretation of what it shows at least)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hi guys,
I was just testing the southern border of the map, and strange things happen with Distant Terrain...
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (163.93 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
Both unmodded DFU and Mountains and Hills behave correctly (or at least, as before: you arrive at a clean-cut end of the world)
I haven't checked the other borders.
Attachments
SAVE239_end_of_the_world.zip
(401.7 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
SAVE238_pyramids.zip
(418.34 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This is still working for me in the current live build Windows 10
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its working but with this mod, I cant exit the game. It freezes and I need to exit it using the CTRL+ALT+DEL
Windows 7 x64
Anyone has the same issue?

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I've had that issue for a while
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.