[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: Project "Increased Terrain Distance"

Post by Nystul »

Distance for near terrain can be adjusted with the slider from dfunity advanced settings window. It is capped for performance reasons to 4. Maybe we should consider allowing to increase it via ini file settings even further - would like to hear opinions of other developers about this first. Thing is performance will likely break completely if increased further, even for just 5.

I can make a setting for far terrain blending distance and horizon fading distance. Only thing is I am not a big fan of these adjustable settings. Reason is that people fiddle around with them without knowing what they do and complaining then that something is broken, e.g. Reflections mod setting reflection texture resolution. Some ppl were confused because they thought upping these values would give them rougher reflections which is not the case. So I fear that people will think more is better also for far terrain settings which is not the case for this mod either

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Hi there, I have accidentaly stumbled upon a possible bug with this mod. If it is known behaviour, then I apologize.

Is this mod supposed to alter the heightmap or the "shape" of the terrain overall? Because in Wrothgarian mountains,
Grayhope, I have noticed, that with the mod disabled, the land near this city is fairly flat. However, when I enable the distant terrain mod, there are firly high hills just outside the city to the south. With "just outside" I mean just behind the city walls.

Used build #92 for windows x64 and distant terrain 2.2.0.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Yes it is supposed and it is written and explained in this thread several times ;)
Actually it is a feature of this mod

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

:oops: Sorry, I was not aware that the terrain improvements you have developed are not part of the unmodded DFU. Now that I read the explanation, I have never noticed the differnce, likely because I have always tested it near the sea (Privateer's Hold mostly). Thanks for your reply. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no problem ;)
just had to point it out :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but any estimate on when this excellent mod will be updated to work with the latest DFU builds? Also, is there a reason this thread isn't linked on the main "Released Mods" page (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=456)- only the mod download link is shown there? Cheers!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hopefully soon! Just want to get talk functionality more complete before I will spend some time on the mod issues

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mike wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:00 am Also, is there a reason this thread isn't linked on the main "Released Mods" page (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=456)- only the mod download link is shown there? Cheers!
I've updated link now to point first post of this topic. There's no real reason, just the format changed slowly over time as more mods came to life.

At one point mods were going to be maintained on the web site, but I'm starting to a think a curated forum area just for "Released Mods" would be a better idea. That way creators can continue to update links and presentation of first post as mod evolves, and we won't need that old thread any more.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thank you both! And as I would think Interkarma having to maintain the Released Mods links himself (serving as a one-man DFU Nexus mods site) may now be getting cumbersome, a solution where mod authors could do this for their own mods would make sense at this point.

Continued amazing progress on DFU over the past few months, by the way - really enjoying the updates on effects. Great to see all that green in the roadmaps!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Nystul wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 am Hopefully soon! Just want to get talk functionality more complete before I will spend some time on the mod issues
Good news
Check out my YouTube Channel!