[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ifkopifko

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by ifkopifko »

Well, very strange. I have tested with only distant terrain and enhanced sky just like you. Happens even with distant terrain as the only active mod.
Dated hardware, I'm not sure. Main PC is Windows 10 on i7-3770 (ok, this is older but as a CPU it should not have any impact) paired with GTX 1060 3GB. I am experiencing identical issues on a second PC with Windows 10 on i7-4790 but with only integradet GPU Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I'll attach my savegames and a screenshot.
SAVE33.ZIP
(261.3 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
SAVE32.ZIP
(191.82 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
2021_11_21_17_58_36.jpg
2021_11_21_17_58_36.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

thanks for providing the saves, will take a look
does the log show any errors when those seams happen?

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

There are two instances of something resembling an error in Player.log, but that's probably just the name of some function, you will know better:
DFTFU 1.9.0: TerrainHeightmapPixelError | 5
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

And then at the end:
Error enabling or diabling Daggerfall Sky object.

I'll attach the logs, just in case.
logs.zip
(19.81 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Nystul,

Ive got same issues as Ifkopifko at privateers hold as a example. Distant terrain only (no other terrain mods)
I had that on gtx 970 and now on 1080ti

As Ifko said, the visibility of these issues is dependent on the weather/time of the day as the holes show the sky background.

It helps to enable levitation and fly up and than look around in different areas when you are searching for this bug.
Areas with slopes show these issues more - privateers hold is a ideal observing place.
But as shown in my previous images, this grid can be seen even at relatively flat terrains.

Heres my save at privateers hold with weather/time set in a way its easily visible.

Ingame terrain distance = 4
Enahnced terrain ON
Terrain Trainsitions ON
Rest is off
Player.rar
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
SAVE491.rar
(171.05 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (143.63 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to throw in some info that might help - neighbouring terrains must be set to prevent seams like this appearing. This is done in StreamingWorld by UpdateNeighbours(). Once this method informs each terrain of their neighbours, the Unity terrain system will "stitch" together terrains at their boundaries.

UpdateNeighbours() is triggered by the UpdateTerrains() coroutine, which in turn is triggered when world is in "init" state (e.g. a fresh load) or whenever user crosses over into another map pixel

So maybe there's a sync issue where terrain heightmap hasn't been assigned yet when UpdateTerrains() is executed? I'm not sure why this would affect only Distant Terrain though. I don't see this in the core terrain sampler or with other terrain mods that I know of.

Nystul, do you know roughly the version when this started happening? It might be helpful to pin down whether it was an engine update, job system update, etc. making the difference.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

tested all 3 provided savegames, no seams here (even when flying)
ifkopifko wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:08 pm There are two instances of something resembling an error in Player.log, but that's probably just the name of some function, you will know better:

well that should be 0 or 1...
have you changed it in the settings.ini?
tbh, if you run with setting 5 here, seams will be everywhere - might even happen with dfunity's default terrain then
try setting this to 0 or 1 please:

Code: Select all

TerrainHeightmapPixelError = 1
or

Code: Select all

TerrainHeightmapPixelError = 0

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I will make completely new fresh folder when new version of DFU drops and report back.
Only thing which I can imagine can cause this is either:
Some stuff in world data
The fact Ive used Interresting eroded terrain in the past
The fact the mod is disabled in the mod folder
Ghosts

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Well, I have tested it and retested it again...

You are correct, if I set the TerrainHeightmapPixelError = 1, the seams will be gone. (If I set it to 0, it will automatically change to 1 anyway.)

However, before I have never ever touched that setting in the ini file. Actually, when I deleted the settings.ini and set up a new folder with only the base game and the Distant Terrain mod, the TerrainHeightmapPixelError automatically got set to 5 by default.

BTW: Just for completeness... When testing the seams, I have actually managed to fall through the terrain at one steep slope where I have seen a seam from a distance. Up close, there is no seam visible. The fall-through is probably unrelated to the seams, because it happens even when TerrainHeightmapPixelError = 1 and no seams appear on the terrain. It probably has to do with the fact that crossing a map-pixel boundary (moving on it actually) is triggering repeated terrain reload-reconstruction (seen just like when you load up a save) and maybe if it's not fast enough, the player can fall through a seam... or something like that. Dunno. Without Distant Terrain I do not detect any terrain reconstruction event at the same location, but I understand it's much less data in such case.

Now, not that I would complain, after all, the risk of falling into the void is a part of Daggerfall. :-D And anyway, the fall doesn't happen too often, I had to try hard and cross the boundary on purpose. Maybe try putting a yellow/black tape on the ground to make the player alert to the danger... :-D

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ifkopifko wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:24 pm Now, not that I would complain, after all, the risk of falling into the void is a part of Daggerfall. :-D And anyway, the fall doesn't happen too often, I had to try hard and cross the boundary on purpose. Maybe try putting a yellow/black tape on the ground to make the player alert to the danger... :-D
haha - should give that a try :P

regarding the pixelerror setting: I definitely need to write a note in the mod info somewhere - my settings.ini was created long time ago - not sure if I edited it manually or the automatic generation was changed sometime after.
not sure if distant terrain should overrule those setting anyway...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Mine "TerrainHeightmapPixelError" was set to 5 as well so its no coincidence. I did not ever touch this setting manually.
Changing to 1 solved the issue ;)