[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
brofin

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by brofin »

Hmm, it seems that because DFU has a different save structure so that Eye of Argonia doesn't recognize it...

pango

Post by pango »

brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 pm Hmm, it seems that because DFU has a different save structure so that Eye of Argonia doesn't recognize it...
More importantly, Eye of Argonia is not relevant because Daggerfall Unity doesn't use the 3D engine of classic Daggerfall, so anything tweaking the settings specific to the old engine isn't.

But the best view distance you can extract from the classic engine with Eye of Argonia is dwarfed by the view distance you can get from the Unity engine (and hardware accelerated 3D), even without mods:
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - classic eye of argonia.jpg
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - classic eye of argonia.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
(without Eye of Argonia, you get 3 city wall arches on the right instead of 4)
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity plain.jpg
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity plain.jpg (207.74 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity distant terrain.jpg
Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity distant terrain.jpg (247.03 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

brofin

Post by brofin »

pango wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:33 pm
brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 pm Hmm, it seems that because DFU has a different save structure so that Eye of Argonia doesn't recognize it...
More importantly, Eye of Argonia is not relevant because Daggerfall Unity doesn't use the 3D engine of classic Daggerfall, so anything tweaking the settings specific to the old engine isn't.

But the best view distance you can extract from the classic engine with Eye of Argonia is dwarfed by the view distance you can get from the Unity engine (and hardware accelerated 3D), even without mods:

Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - classic eye of argonia.jpg
(without Eye of Argonia, you get 3 city wall arches on the right instead of 4)

Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity plain.jpg

Iliac bay from Dagerfall city walls - daggerfall unity distant terrain.jpg
Thank you for the explanation. That really helps =)

sollrakc

Post by sollrakc »

Hello!
I'd like to know if there's a way to turn off the distant terrain part? I love the new terrain with improved heightmaps but I also prefer the foggy effect produced with the default limited view distance setting, as it fits much better with the classic skybox and retro modes.
I just now realized the irony of asking how to turn off the feature that the mod is named after. :lol:

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm Is the Eye of Argonia program still relevant?
No. That was only for the original Daggerfall and is not needed with DFU.

pango

Post by pango »

Just for cross-reference, there's an issue between this mod and the Telescope mod because it can change the main camera settings (mainly FieldOfView, I suppose):
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3403&start=10#p40487
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

pango wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm Just for cross-reference, there's an issue between this mod and the Telescope mod because it can change the main camera settings (mainly FieldOfView, I suppose):
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3403&start=10#p40487
cleanest way I guess would be if we have a fov setter function in dfunity core which raises an event when fov gets changed. This way mods don't need to know from each other and can change fov/react to fov changes without having to permanently poll for changed fov settings.
What do you think?

pango

Post by pango »

Well, I made a PoC that just copies the FoV from the main camera, just like we already mirror main camera's position and rotation, and it seems to work.
I agree that an event OnMainCameraParameterChange or whatever could be a little bit more efficient for parameters that only seldom change, but is it required (say, would it be somehow more reliable or improve modularity)? I don't know
-- Charles Goodhart

Antony89

Post by Antony89 »

If maxed out can this mod together with KoW Dream consume more than 16gb of ram? Because i checked today and i was using 15gb + 12 gb of life paging i noticed allocated on my ssd. Distant land set to 4 in Advanced.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Antony89 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 pm If maxed out can this mod together with KoW Dream consume more than 16gb of ram? Because i checked today and i was using 15gb + 12 gb of life paging i noticed allocated on my ssd. Distant land set to 4 in Advanced.
I dont think so, I never went over 10gb ever