[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Eccer

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Eccer »

Is it possible to use Distant Terrain mod with Mountains and Hills mod? Are they compatible now?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The both replace the TerrainSampler so they're fundamentally incompatible. Two variants of terrain where you choose one or the other based on preference I think. (note I am not the author of either so am not the last word on the subject)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

The Terrain Transition is a little bit too inconsistent.
Here's a video of what I mean https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... urce=share

Also is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the very far distant lands design over what pops in? Makes things a little less samey

pango

Post by pango »

Terrain generation parameters vary from climate to climate, so that's a way too broad claim, DT generates much flatter terrain in other places, that's what increases variety.

Maybe there's some climates where close and far terrain generators diverge too much, though?
I imagine that ideally distant terrain generator should compute something like the low frequency components of the close distant generator, but that's probably not that easy...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 am The Terrain Transition is a little bit too inconsistent.
Here's a video of what I mean https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... urce=share

Also is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the very far distant lands design over what pops in? Makes things a little less samey
this issue has nothing to do with terrain mods. it is just the normal dfunity terrain generation. the video shows someone with a low spec machine running with minimal TerrainDistance value...

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am working on a version compatible with 0.10.25+
just to let you know
old versions of realtime reflections and enhanced sky should be compatible with 0.10.25+

update: new version in first post of this thread (for dfunity 0.10.25+)

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

You're not looking in the same direction in the two screenshots, what if you look to the west with 2.8.0a?
Capture d’écran du 2020-08-13 14-30-32.jpg
Capture d’écran du 2020-08-13 14-30-32.jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
That said, I get a lot more hills to the north with 2.8.0a than shown on your screenshot, so it's probably not that simple. All I can add is that it seems to work for me (DFU 0.10.25 + Distant Terrain 2.8.0a on Linux)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Are you sure you use the right dfunity version? Which version do you use?