[MOD] Mountains and Hills

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Mountains and Hills

Post by Hazelnut »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:24 pm UV, I would be happy to help speed up your code or if you put it online I could take a stab at it if you like?
UV kindly sent me the source and gave me his blessing to update the mod to use jobs system. I've attached a download that will work once there's a compatible DFU build availiable. Should be a lot faster than the old version. There's only one dfmod file for StandaloneWindows (since moving to Unity 2018 I can only build windows modfiles due to some missing dependencies) but this should work just fine on all systems as the mod only contains code in text form which is platform independent.

I wanted to get it released in case I screw up and lose my work since the code is not in GitHub so I'm not following my usual workflow and mistakes happen.

NOTE: This will not work with current builds of DFU. Please don't try it and then complain it doesn't work! I'll update the thread with details once the DFU build with the jobs system terrain generation is ready.

Mountain And Hills 1.02.zip
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 12537 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great work mate!

I've allocated time this weekend to work through all those PRs. I'll get first Feb builds out sooner than later so everyone can experience your work on the terrain performance, which is seriously awesome btw. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome news! I love this mod and me and my almost archaic CPU welcome these optimalizations with a open arms ,) Thank you for making this happen UV & Hazelnut!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This works with the current Dev build
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:49 pm Awesome news! I love this mod and me and my almost archaic CPU welcome these optimalizations with a open arms ,) Thank you for making this happen UV & Hazelnut!
You're very welcome. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Seems like this mod no longer works with the new live build (Windows x64 PreAlpha 0.7.65).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The latest builds (0.7.65 and later) now use a multi-core job system for terrain layout. Try the "Mountains and Hills 1.02.zip" that Hazelnut posted a few posts above, and it should work OK.

Once confirmed, we can update link in first page of this topic.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Damn, dunno how I could have forgot about that post by Hazelnut.

I confirm, the version 1.02 works with the current live build. I'm loving this mod. :-) Too bad it does not work together with distant terrain.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think the distant terrain is basically using quite similar algo as the mountains and hills do to increase the terrain detail...
I use mountains and hills, because it runs better on my PC... Im glad its still updated

pango

Post by pango »

1.02 archive seems to only contain build for Windows, though...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart