Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

Post by Jay_H »

No problem! Take your time. I know how discouraging it is to start something over. It'll be out when it's out :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:51 pm No problem! Take your time. I know how discouraging it is to start something over. It'll be out when it's out :)
I can at least say the wilderness events are back and fully functional. I think I treat restarts well. I'm used to losing important data a this point. I'm glad i was able to save the dialogue because I wrote paragraphs and paragraphs of random dialogue for the new update so it wouldn't be too samey.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im glad the progress is resumed, I like this mod!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Before I had a bases of how skills can't help with the outcome of events. Now reputations will factor in as well (More so than before). Negative reputations with good factions like the fighters guild (Or good reputations with bad guilds like the Dark Brotherhood) can make a friendly encounter with someone into a fight. Quests are also no longer part of a single file. For best results and editing, There will be a Quest to run to detect when a player reaches a location, is in the wilderness or in a city, and then will decided what type of encounter you might have.

Say the quest will decide you will have an encounter with a human, with good enough skills with stealth, you have a chance to avoid the encounter (Having sufficient skills doesn't guarantee a successful sneak). If you were to fail the skillcheck or failed by chance, it will then select the outcome event. Then individual events themselves will have different outcomes according sometimes to Guild Rep, skill and chance. (Maybe one day we could also check for Regional reputation). The new version is being delayed for a good bit but now I think I have a even better system for it to work. Sieges aren't going to make it this version again. I'm leaving that for later versions for when the main core idea is working as intended. The version I had before made exploring the wilderness more eventful but now I see it could only do so much with the original limiting setup. Each event now will be given more time to develop and balance so it will be a more solid release.
Attachments
Daggerfall Screenshot.png
Daggerfall Screenshot.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2103 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This sounds awesome and very RPG like. Good luck with the dev process, glad to see u back at it!

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It would be cool if quests could have custom dialog boxes. Come across a thief and "Your money or your life". You could then use your reputation and street wise to get a favorable reaction. Perhaps it you do well enough he gives you some useful information like maybe a mini quest item in the dungeon your already going into or similar. Perhaps he tells you of a pawn shop owner who will give you an additional 10% on goods you are selling or fencing for 24hrs if you drop his name. In an case you could choose to be polite normal or blunt or just attack. You could have the same situation with a knight who thinks you might be up to no good.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Friendly wilderness encounters are another thing I've wanted for... huh, 22 years now.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm Friendly wilderness encounters are another thing I've wanted for... huh, 22 years now.
Or at least interesting encounters. I know that JL wanted to do more with language skills than what came out in the final game. What if instead of just becoming non-hostile, encountered creatures actually said something. Anything from bullying to fearful to helpful. You could expand the reputation system to include certain creatures. Like if you did a quest for a centaur you get a reputation boost with centaurs and the are more likely to help you in the future.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

jayhova wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 pm It would be cool if quests could have custom dialog boxes. Come across a thief and "Your money or your life". You could then use your reputation and street wise to get a favorable reaction. Perhaps it you do well enough he gives you some useful information like maybe a mini quest item in the dungeon your already going into or similar. Perhaps he tells you of a pawn shop owner who will give you an additional 10% on goods you are selling or fencing for 24hrs if you drop his name. In an case you could choose to be polite normal or blunt or just attack. You could have the same situation with a knight who thinks you might be up to no good.
Highwaymen was like first thing I made. Having good streetwise and etiquette skills can have you avoid a hostile encounter. Some encounters are aggressive by default. Others will depend on your rep or a certain selection of skills.

EDIT: I am a bit limited with certain options but I'll be seeing how far I can go with certain stuff. I do plan to have quests to have a chance of being given to the player. Just will be implemented later.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Kamer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm
Highwaymen was like first thing I made. Having good streetwise and etiquette skills can have you avoid a hostile encounter. Some encounters are aggressive by default. Others will depend on your rep or a certain selection of skills.

EDIT: I am a bit limited with certain options but I'll be seeing how far I can go with certain stuff. I do plan to have quests to have a chance of being given to the player. Just will be implemented later.
I mostly was thinking about interactive encounters and dungeon encounters where the encountered creature does more that just become passive. Perhaps they demand you put away your sword before that talk to you. Perhaps they attack when you do. It would be nice to see more variation in encounters.