Villager Immersion Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Asesino

Re: Villager Immersion Overhaul

Post by Asesino »

This is awesome! I was just thinking today, as a hoard of Ogres were chasing me into Gothway Gardens, how nice it would be if the guards would stand up and notice my plight.

Well done sir! I can’t wait for this update.

Thanks,
A

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Post by UnopenedCanofSpoopy »

Is it possible for there to be a version of this mod where it only adds extra villagers walking around outside? If I may be honest here, I'm not really a big fan of orcs showing up as tavern bar maids, Argonians as slaves, and Jiub from Morrowind for an elf.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Villager Immersion Overhaul Version 5 Pre-Alpha

Spoiler!

It's been awhile but I've decided to go ahead and release a piece of Villager Immersion to the public. Various versions have been tested by Zaric Zhakaron and TheMisterminer respectively. This version will add many new features that you guys have requested a lot. As you can see, its a pre-alpha. Not all features are present here so it's definitely not "Complete". But I believe that there is enough here for a public release therefore I'm releasing this version for the public. You can't find all the bugs yourself you know? Please enjoy the new version!

Whats new in Version 5.0?

-Guards Patrol at night.
-Guards at City entrances, walls and guard towers. (Refresh every hour)
-Guards at Palaces. (Only two as of now)
-Guards emit light.
-Guards attack foes.
(Guards might be more aware of the player's crimes. Be careful.)

-Villagers have a chance to attack the player if they are a Werewolf Creature.
-Villagers who don't attack will call for guards for help.
-Villagers run away when foes are around.
-Villager mass varies now based on town type. (Few at farms but many people in cities)
-Weather will cut the active villager count in half.

-Prostitute function restored. (Taverns Only)

-Orcs Sergents will appear in Orsinium
-Orcs will replace some billboard villagers in Orsinium. (Taverns and Homes)

EDIT: Also note. The sprites that change villagers into different races is now a separate download. This is for people who prefer vanilla graphics and allows me to update the sprites separate from the main mod.

Download: Villager Immersion Overhaul Pre-Alpha Version 5

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

What does this mean? What function has been restored to prostitutes in the taverns?

Mod lookks great by the way. I've been watching its progress for a while and i think it's now getting to the point where I can't hold off playing it any longer.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

harbinger451 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 am
What does this mean? What function has been restored to prostitutes in the taverns?

Mod lookks great by the way. I've been watching its progress for a while and i think it's now getting to the point where I can't hold off playing it any longer.
I know of your mod. This makes prostitutes NPC's in Taverns give the unused text and service. It shouldn't conflict.

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

This makes prostitutes NPC's in Taverns give the unused text and service.
Oh, cool. I tried to do that very thing with my quest pack but I couldn't single out the prostitutes from the rest of the commoners just using quests - I believe it required some sort of script, something a bit beyond me at the moment. So I'm glad someone was able to do it. I restored it, along with the unused "lovers" dialogue, but only randomly by adding quests to the general pool of commoner and nobility quests.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

harbinger451 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:05 pm
This makes prostitutes NPC's in Taverns give the unused text and service.
Oh, cool. I tried to do that very thing with my quest pack but I couldn't single out the prostitutes from the rest of the commoners just using quests - I believe it required some sort of script, something a bit beyond me at the moment. So I'm glad someone was able to do it. I restored it, along with the unused "lovers" dialogue, but only randomly by adding quests to the general pool of commoner and nobility quests.
Prostitutes are also in Warm Ashes. I single them out by creating them as a quest NPC from the prostitute faction. Your quest pack gives the ability for commoners which I havn't touched.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

TL:DR, Likely Bug Report:
My character is getting charged with assault for the crime of entering cities in the province of tulune, and I have figured out a few possible ways this might be happening from testing and attempting to reproduce the issue.

Actual details in the spoiler tagged "Verbose" report.

Until I can confirm it's NOT an interaction between several mods OR am asked to provide this information by the mod's author or someone they have working on the problem, I will not be posting my list of active mods, because there are a lot of mods in my installation right now, mod conflicts I've seen in DF Unity tend to have more straightforward issues come up (Typically crashing or functions of one mod overwriting another, truth be told- The game is either close to 100% stable or crashes 100% of the time on clicking "Play" in my experience plus doesn't experience the script lag that is inherent to dealing with Papyrus Scripting, which IMO is a huge improvement over anything Bethesda has done with Netimmerse/Gamebryo/Creation Engine), and I'd still have to weed out the ones I have disabled.

VERBOSE BUG REPORT IS INSIDE OF THE SPOILER TEXT. HAS 7 PARAGRAPHS AND THREE ADDITIONAL, NONSEQUENTIAL SENTENCES OF FULL INFORMATION ABOUT THE BUG. IF YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF FIXING THIS BUG OR ARE NOT HELPING THE MOD AUTHOR TO DO SO, YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO READ THE VERBOSE REPORT, AND INSTEAD SKIP TO THE TL:DR VERSION BENEATH THE SPOILER TAGGED SECTION.
Spoiler!
Basically, since installing VIO5, I am getting repeated, mysterious assault charges every time I enter a settlement, and at random when I'm inside.

At first I thought I had accidentally horse-trampled someone (roleplay realism alters how horses work I think, but thing is you can't trample people like that when the horse also is carrying a wagon, which it was), but this happened again RIGHT after entering the city of tulune, having already successfully argued the character's innocence to the court once in another city in the same province, with the same charge of assault, and not even come near any other NPC.

I then reloaded, travelled to Tulune again, and unchecked "movement acceleration", thinking this might be the culprit, thinking perhaps it was speed AND mount status that was being checked (and that wagons were also flagged as being mounted directly on a horse). Immediately after arriving in Tulune, I was beset by more guards, before I even had a chance to move an inch after getting to the border of the town.

I had already argue my innocence once... In fact, I didn't even remember committing an assault on a town's citizen at ALL in that savegame, ever (At least, without reloading immediately to negate the event)! The arresting guard had spawned right behind me on top of that, immediately after the warning text from your mod appeared.

Suspecting foul play, I next decided to disable VIO5... Being arrested every single time I entered a different town was getting old fast, and was going to tank my reputation all the way down to Pond Scum if it happened enough. I had to figure out what was causing the problem.

Sure enough, when I disabled your mod, then loaded a save I made when I first arrived at the town border via the Tedious Travel version of "fast travel" within the province. I went into the walls, and spent a bit of time looking for a guard, and I wasn't arrested that whole time. On top of that, I actually spoke directly to the guard I found, and was also not arrested after speaking to a literal guard, which was basically overkill given guards will chase you to the ends of the earth if you've committed a crime within their home province..

Long story short, this mod is stacking continuous false charges of assault on my character, once per entry to each town... and if you want verification, I can reproduce the issue and record it as needed, provide the save in Telune, and (on request) provide a full list of every single mod I have currently enabled, in their current order, as well as which two mods VIO5 was placed between prior to disabling it in this order (though the save WAS made with VIO5 enabled, and the same mod list aside from that).

As for what I think the cause is? Well, I think the mod might just assume that the character assaulted someone by default in its current settings, or else treat getting close to someone at ALL as assault after you first enter a city. I don't think creatures ACTUALLY attack towns while you're away in daggerfall, so I doubt it's a case of a creature's kill or attack being assigned to the player either... and well, if I had actually assaulted a villager, even by simply running while mounted on a horse (which causes trampling) then the villager would have instantly died, because most of them can't withstand attacks at all in daggerfall based on my own testing (and the fact that every citizen I've trampled by horse before reloading a save, indeed, has instantly died).

Thing is, I don't code games, I just tend to find a LOT of bugs in them that people somehow haven't yet, modded or otherwise. So I honestly have only slightly more than zero an idea what could be happening, but I know enough to know that is not at all an intended behavior of daggerfall unity, your mod, or (now that I've isolated it to VIO5) any other mod I have installed...

--Edit #1: I have now tested a further thing... with the mod uninstalled, next to the guard I spoke to before, I verified that he was indeed a guard by throwing an unarmed punch at him. It missed, and he swung at me, which brought up the vanilla "Surrender to the guards?" dialogue. This proves that he IS actually a guard, AND that the vanilla justice system works as intended when VIO5 is not installed.

--Edit #2: After disabling the mod, loading the same save that kept causing that issue, then exiting the game, re-enabling VIO5, and then loading that save again... the issue is gone... which seems to mean that this is the same memory state issue that used to plague Climates and Calories, causing a starvation or temperature effect spiral. So basically, I was wrong, and this was an issue with the base game's interaction with the scripts in VIO5... presumably because I may have assaulted someone, then reloaded the game in the same play session before it could be resolved, causing the event to be repeated every time I entered a new town where the state had yet to be cleared (This issue was in older versions of climates and calories after dying from starvation, heat, or cold, and has to my knowledge since been corrected or at least reduced in chance of occurance - I have a feeling that every strike from a guard's mace applies the criminal charge again, they stack, and repeats of the same specific charge are culled down to a single entry... probably something that matches classic daggerfall behavior, but classic daggerfall was written by Bethesda, kings of jank that they are they probably did it this way because they couldn't figure out how to make it work otherwise within the limitations of the engine - perhaps a good moment to reconsider this method, given Unity Engine can cause this method to become a VISIBLE bug, rather than invisible janky coding... the issue is, that method may be relied upon for other things within the game like quests too, because this is bethesda we are talking about).

--Edit #3: I left the game running while making the second edit, completely idle. but unpaused. After I returned I discovered the guards had decided to arrest me again. I do not know if the charge was assault or not, because I chose to resist arrest in order to exit the situation and reset faster... but I also DO know that this was a save with a clean record. So I once more have no idea what this bug is actually caused by.... now that I've tested to make sure that mouse inputs and keyboard inputs aren't being carried over to the game on a different virtual desktop, I know that it's not something that has something to do with leaving the game active out of focus.

--Edit 4: I walked in front of a patrolling guard with the mod enabled, within its line of sight when testing this again. At no point had I even drawn my fists, or equipped a weapon, or cast a spell, but I HAD come within speech range of a townsperson. I went to trial, chose to debate the sentence again, then reloaded a save. I then walked through the gates again, and was alerted that I was wanted for assault, again. I then realized I had equipment that had the "Cast on Equipped" version of a spell on it (Wisdom, which is a self-targeted spell that boosts Intelligence). I thought this may have been the issue (Spellcasting may have been considered an attack, despite it being me that was targeted... so I plead guilty, then started casting on-self spells and using magic items in front of the city watch at the open city gates (Another sticking point- These are normally closed at night... VIO leaves them open!)... nothing. So once more, this issue is inexplicable to me.

--Edit 5: I realize that it is POSSIBLE that something was coded in to allow NPCs to falsely accuse the player character of crimes... but I quite frankly have no idea if this is the case, and at the times this occurred the character had a post-magic Personality score of roughly 113, a streetwise of 15%, and ettiquite of 20%, and (if this factors into calculations) a level of 10. Presumably from spells with a variable range in the case of the personality score. I'm done trying to figure this mystery out tonight, so I'm going to disable the mod and keep the save file with it enabled on my hard drive.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

I think I've run into this issue too. I suddenly saw a "Hey you! You're wanted for Assault!" message and thought it was a guard chasing a random monster that had followed me into town, but nope, they were after me. I also thought I had accidentally horse-trampled someone, but I didn't think I had sprinted with my horse at all (I generally try to avoid it during the day for this reason). It's only happened to me once so far, although I've only put an hour or two in since updating to v5.0.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Just for the record. VIO does not charge the player with any crimes. It only reads the player data. You've been charged of assault somehow and VIO only reacts to your wanted level.