KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

Glowing eyes are not a reflection of a light in my version of fantasy. Its a magical creature, adds to atmosphere, and has nothing to do with "realistic"
Giant rat the size of a huge dog is not a natural creature. Look at those vanilla eyes. Do they look like a mouse eyes? Not to me.

Anyway, I will rethink it. And as always, I appreciate the feedback, even negative.

Adrinus, Im quite sure AI sharpening to NPCs will bring terrible results, lets try some tho (again, I guess I tryed it already)

So this is somehow best result I can get QUICKLY, this is AI sharpening/focus
Im very sure ingame the outline will be messed up, it tends to do it, cant be seen here in raw png, but the outline will deffo be thicker than Id like it to be
compare.png
compare.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
Another thing is AI upscaling but
AI upscaling is problematic with a source files of this resolution, as it requires a lots of VRAM and I have just gtx970
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon May 27, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

"Im quite sure AI sharpening to NPCs will bring terrible results, lets try some tho (again, I guess I tryed it already)"
Only do it if it's easy enough, I was just curious.

I also agree with the "magic" idea for why the eyes glow. I'd only suggest in that case to add some "shadows" to the edges of them, sorta a contrast to the brightness in the center: makes a more "glowing" effect.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sharpening results uploaded, nothing special :X
AI upscale - tryed, not working on my pc, source too big :X

I might try reducing the source 4times and than upscaling, will do laters

Agreed about eyes remark, thats the plan, to soften it up somehow, I mentioned it somewhere in the prev posts related to the rats eyes, that another pass will be required to make it look according to my taste, but it got burried in too much text and images .)

EDIT: found it

"Plus there should be additional pass on the freshly created emission maps, which would make the eye outline somehow smoother and radiating a bit around..."

It needs some more testing, this is a fast result.
I will not give up until it looks good, you know me :)

But 1st step is to make something, and than work on it further...

PS: I like this effect in other games, it works, when done properly, so I know it can look good here as well, given enough work and luck

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

What it does it pretty impressive when compared to the work it would take me to manually do it. Essentially, what I'd have to do to replicate it would be go over the model, find brush-strokes that are size 3-4 and then re-draw the area with much finer brush strokes, being careful to blend the colors correctly, while preserving the general shape of the object I'm drawing. Essentially, just the eyes and nose area could take 30 minutes to do what that AI did quite quickly in comparison.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well its not that bad :)
I can see the problematic dark outlines already emerging at the brighter parts, like the hair/facial hair, or around skin.
That would either require additional manual pass, or we leave it this way, not sure I like the outlines tho, I did my best to get rid of them on all sprites in DREAM. And it will get even more pronounced ingame.

This AI sharpening is quite easy
In DOWNLOADS theres Sharpen AI, you can DL for free and use it for one month...
https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

Theres the Gigapixel as well.. I used it but my licence expired and Im not sure it was that handy to me...
I can send you the NPCs to experiment with?

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Honestly, I think it's probably not worth the effort. I was hoping for things like automatically putting skin texture on and such, identifying common features and enhancing them. I think that's much more involved than this, sadly.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, I know what you mean...we will get there quite soon, this whole AI era has just begun :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ill be out for next 9 days, having a vacation .)
If you see me here, remind me to turn off my phone, thank you :D

pango

Post by pango »

Seen in a stream during the "Sleep spell" mages' guild quest, where you can observe a knight at rest: he's got holes instead of shadows (I assume) in the shoulders and torso...
I guess it's 399_1-1 or 399_1-3, but I'm not certain.
(screenshot a few posts below)
Last edited by pango on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Not 100% percent, but I reckon this has to do with not taking too much care with side-ways mobs: It was a shortcut to ignore those frames since enemies always face you (until recent in-fighting changes).