KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

TheLacus wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Code: Select all

Failed to load asset: 302_2-0
This is not a normal map, but you should check what's wrong with it.

Failed to load asset: 097_11-0

Failed to load asset: 097_5-0

Failed to load asset: 097_13-0

Failed to load asset: 097_14-0

Failed to load asset: 097_3-0

Failed to load asset: 097_2-0
Also check these statues.

There's nothing about normal maps or weapons. Feel free to send me the files ;)
Strange reports :shock:
302_2-0 is a part of terrain set and is exactly the same as other parts from that set, I was not able to spot any difference same as with
097 - statues, I checked and those reported here are the same as the rest of em in the archive, meaning the Unity inspector settings plus the texture Bit Depth etc

So no idea :X
Heres a link for the terrain. Its in unity export package - 1st is textures 2nd is normals. So u can see my Unity inspector settings for them as well..
But honestly, having the terrain material properties fully modable same as the rest of the other textures would be maybe the best... Having the specular on the snow etc .)

https://mega.nz/#!irQGAQ5S!QwuqwLAq84NX ... ou42WESkhk

And here is the new Silve bow set as a loose file. Place em in CifRci and in the game u will see that only the 1st sprite from the set it highres, rest are vanilla sprites.
https://mega.nz/#!ivICQSLb!CO-sq1443tEl ... Tw03TQkfUI

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm Heres a link for the terrain. Its in unity export package - 1st is textures 2nd is normals. So u can see my Unity inspector settings for them as well..
But honestly, having the terrain material properties fully modable same as the rest of the other textures would be maybe the best... Having the specular on the snow etc .)

https://mega.nz/#!irQGAQ5S!QwuqwLAq84NX ... ou42WESkhk
Wrong file names

302_0-0

302_0_0_Normal

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm And here is the new Silve bow set as a loose file. Place em in CifRci and in the game u will see that only the 1st sprite from the set it highres, rest are vanilla sprites.
https://mega.nz/#!ivICQSLb!CO-sq1443tEl ... Tw03TQkfUI
Fixed by #1353.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Oops, thanks for finding out :lol: That "might" be the case..

Unrelated.
Today I found out this screen is actually used ingame. It appears after the dead animation is played.
So I remade it as well:

I think this screen might have a music as well? Plus a button, click to continue maybe?
Spoiler!
DIE_00I0.jpg
DIE_00I0.jpg (791.61 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Lacus, I corrected the names of normals and it works.

Problem is, they are too strong and I think mip mapping does not work on them.
Also the strength of the effect varies based on the texture, as u can see, the texture with stones has very slight normal on the brown soil. So Id need a option to regulate the strength of normals...

I think the way it is now, it will hadly work and it would be needed for a terrain shader to be remade (to be in a way rest of the textures are - so I can create a materials from them and set them up)

I guess you wrote me back than, that this might be possible to do. Is it?

Thank you!
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (730.48 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am Problem is, they are too strong and I think mip mapping does not work on them.
There have been some chnages to the shader recently. I think mipmaps level is applied correctly from a quick look, but maybe pango want to check again.
King of Worms wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am Also the strength of the effect varies based on the texture, as u can see, the texture with stones has very slight normal on the brown soil. So Id need a option to regulate the strength of normals...
How did you make these normal maps? If you used an automatic tool you might need to manually soften/harden them as needed. Given the nature of Daggerfall terrain, tiling with different textures will also become more accentuated, maybe you can hide this a bit with some editing of the border patterns.

normal_maps_tiles.png
normal_maps_tiles.png (624.65 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
King of Worms wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am I think the way it is now, it will hadly work and it would be needed for a terrain shader to be remade (to be in a way rest of the textures are - so I can create a materials from them and set them up)

I guess you wrote me back than, that this might be possible to do. Is it?
Not really. What i can do is allow import of textures merged in a texture array, instead of importing individual textures and merge them at runtime. I consider this an optimization that makes things slightly more onerous for modders, so i still don't have a final decision on it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for a reply

There are no mip-maps on the normal maps for sure, they are same level from close to up far. So the mip mapping does not apply to normals but only the base textures.

Im generating each normal map manualy but they all have same settings. Its not possible for me to generate each normal with different strength and try to normalize this. That would be crazy task to do so this way. If I cant set the normal map strenght in the unity editor (and thus see the results immediately) same as with the other textures, this part of modding is on hold...

I think the problem with tiling will be mostly eliminated if the normals are not super strong as they are now..

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

normalMaps1.png
normalMaps1.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1390 times
normalMaps2.png
normalMaps2.png (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1390 times
Albedo settings:
- Texture type: default
- sRGB: true
- Alpha source: none
- read/write enabled: false*
- Generate mipmaps: true

Normal map settings:
- Texture type: normal map
- read/write enabled: false*
- Generate mipmaps: true

* you can enable it for old platforms that support SystemInfo.supports2DArrayTextures but not SystemInfo.copyTextureSupport. I don't know if there is any, i believe is not worth the increase in memory.

There are two issues:
- You need to flatten texture extremities or tile borders are more visible. Not sure how much better it could get.
- You need to do some minor manual adjustment because a few normal maps are softer than others.

If you prefer not to use normal maps is fine, but you shouldn't expect to be able to adjust normal maps intensity on the shader for individual textures; you should work on the texture itself instead.

pango

Post by pango »

I didn't change anything related to normal maps handling, as far as I can see I didn't break it either, but this is still all new to me...

Are we just applying mipmapping to normal maps? From a quick search it seems it's not that simple, generated normal maps are not normalized, and need to be tweaked (among other solutions):
https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/54 ... -benefits/
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/wh ... l_Maps.pdf
Last edited by pango on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

pango wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:50 pm I didn't change anything related to normal maps handling, as far as I can see I didn't break it either, but this is still all new to me...

Are we just applying mipmapping to normal maps? From a quick search it seems it's not that simple, generated normal maps are not normalized, and need to be tweaked
Thank you for your answer. I'll do some tests and check if i can see any difference between mip maps enabled and disabled.

The screenshots i posted in my comment above don't look too bad in my opinion, there is only an issue of homogeneity and visible tile borders which i already addressed. I don't think there is some specific issue with current implementation of normal maps, or at least i'm not aware of any at the moment. Maybe KoW can try again with the settings i suggested.