KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Adrinus

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Adrinus »

I liked the first one, but then I saw the second! Anything to see more of them purple stars!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I like the consolidation efforts: all the remastering in one spot. I think this will make for good additions, specially the cricket changes: people who aren't used to it go insane!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Still stuck at sounds, it takes time and lots of testing.

But progress is being made.
I try to variate the sounds, for example all orcs had same sounds, so I pitched down the sounds of the Warlord to sound more big, added a bit of bass to the footsteps. Variated the sounds of other orcs a bit as well.

Bear has new attack sound
Same as deadra lord, vampire male and female, gargoyle has attack and bark sounds, wraith as well (sounded same as ghost or similar to skeleton)
new sounds for giant, bat, lesser deadra, lich and lich king now has variation of sound instead of having same sounds, scorpion has new attack sound (sounded like a spider), tiger new attack, zombie attack, fall dmg has more bass, level up sound has more bass and some heights, snow footsteps are not same for step1 and step2 - slight variation added. Race selection sounds improved, esp wood elf.. select class drums improved, spell cast and hits.

Ambient sounds have more echo.

Added some more echo to the underwater creatures as well.

Finetuned volume on some samples...

BUT

I dont change things just like that. Enemies - I changed those which sound the same as others or had some strange things like bark and attack almost the same sounds etc.

Casting as well, cold sounded too much like fire. Electric has more impact. Fireball hit does not sound like a atomic bomb...

Echo added is very subtle.

I changed some footsteps to more reflect the mob, if he is big, his sounds are more heavy (added bass)

Overall, there is not anything distracting, all Daggerfall signature sounds are still there.

I worked with sound since early 90s so its not just some nonsense adjustments which will ruin the game.
Its about subtle changes, more variety and more refined original sounds

Still, its slow progress and will need more time and testing.. and the results will not be breathtaking, just subtle changes. Hopefully for the better tho! ;)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

That all sounds great! I'd love some more variation, specially for the dupes. Any chance you can cut together a short video of changes?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Including ByteMixer's and pango's music and sound improvements will make this all-in-one overhaul even better - great to hear. Those thoughtful changes to mob and other sounds will also be welcome. And looking forward to seeing cinematic changes down the road. As for the new UI, I also prefer screen #2.

Thanks to KoW, Adrinus, and all other contributors for the continued enhancements!

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

King of Worms wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 pm snip
Good stuff, KoW.
I have not created a thread yet, but I am planning a sound project myself.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1692&start=80#p24251

I would be very interested in hearing your sounds if you don't mind sharing them at some point.

Thanks!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks guys, I will use the 2nd variant and will consider a video for comparison. But honestly. Captiring all the changes, compiling the 10s of clips together to create a whole vid.. I dont think I will do it. Too much time consuming and Id better use that time on Dream.

Azteca, Im aware that you might be up to it and I consider it a great thing!
Ofc I will share, will send you the private msg because I dont want the sounds to go public until ready.

We might collaborate on it somehow, or at least exchange some words/informations about the sounds, duplicates etc. Im not 100% certain where I will take this mod, nor what your final vision will be.
Maybe create a thread and set some goals there. if you feel like it.

I think I will keep my mod relatively vanilla like, I dont feel like exchanging all the sounds for the hifi variants. So it will stay relatively low fidelity sounding, but restored/upgraded carefully. But who knows... ;)

Will send the PM today

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Also, Ive put together this Icon set. Its free, I just downloaded all the parts and put all the spells in some order, which was not so easy because there are many and not all spells have similar amount of color variants etc etc..

This was in readme:
Painterly Spell Icon set part 3
These icons are released by the artist under the following licenses:
GNU GPL 2.0
GNU GPL 3.0
CC-BY 3.0
CC-BY-SA 3.0

Attribution:
J. W. Bjerk (eleazzaar) -- www.jwbjerk.com/art -- find this and other open art at: http://opengameart.org
If you find these icons useful, I'd appreciate it if you send me a line, with a link to your project -- just to satisfy my curiosity.
Also I can probably be commissioned to extend or expand this set at a reasonable rate.
Enjoy...
J.W.Bjerk
me AT jwbjerk D0T com

And this is the result... I might change it according to feedback.
There are 3 spell strength variants
And color variants

Im considering creating a lite version, with just one spell strength and maybe one less color variant (the middle column?) .
Maybe removing the Stone/meteor line completely. Now its 270 icons

Any ideas? Opinions?
Thanks!

PS: U can download it and draw some notes to that and post back if its too hard to explain the proposed changes, if there are any
PSA: I down-scaled it to 50% so now the icons are 256*256 same as the new icons by VMBlast which are now in the DFU as default
Icons.jpg
Icons.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 51921 times

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Good call on the icons... so familiar... I think I've used them before for some of my projects. I'd keep em all personally. The spell viewer has a scroll-bar and works pretty well. I think for things like spell Icons, more is better.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

U right, more icons cant really hurt. I will check how it behaves ingame and than decide.
I changed the layout some more, created some missing variants.. this seems to be the final for this number of icons.
I quite like it! Now its 300 icons
Spoiler!
Icons KoW BIG b.jpg
Icons KoW BIG b.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 51883 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lol, so the icon viewer is made for 12 rows, so I had to remove one colour set, Ive removed the middle one... now the icons are corectly sorted.
I think it looks cool.

Ingame:
Spoiler!
Ingame.jpg
Ingame.jpg (463.94 KiB) Viewed 51867 times