KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 am Im still bit torn on the fact the shadows were completely disabled in foggy weather. I had some old screens with fog and shadows and it looked good. I agree that shadows should be less visible with fog, but not disabled. If it was 100%, and now its 0%, Id say 33% would look cool. Maybe even 50%, or 25%, u never know until u test it. Just a visible hint of shadows.
Well, I guess (given i checked shadows on foggy pictures/videos too) that the shadows were very fuzzy; And the problem is that given that Daggerfall Unity uses dynamic lighting, you're basically restricted to hard shadows. You can add some fuzziness, but it's very, very light. So that's why I feel that only keeping ambient occlusion stuff feels more natural.
King of Worms wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 am Also, I still think mip maps might be a bit more sharp on the terrain, what u did is DEFFO a step in a right direction, I like it, and it feels much better. But theres still room to sharpen it up a bit.
From my own experiments, tweaking mipmap bias more adds a lot of aliasing, and I find aliasing very distracting. If anybody knows any technique to solve that I'm all ears, but as it stands I won't just decrease the mipmap bias.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Wow. I think this should be resolved in the core. We dont want to port these bugs to DFU, do we? - thats to the paperdoll issue :)

Ad Pango - ok I though there was some little room for mipmaps to tweak further :/ and the shadows... well ok than :)

pango

Post by pango »

If I bring back very light shadows

Code: Select all

diff --git a/Assets/Scripts/Game/WeatherManager.cs b/Assets/Scripts/Game/WeatherManager.cs
index 5ef216aa..0a493d36 100644
--- a/Assets/Scripts/Game/WeatherManager.cs
+++ b/Assets/Scripts/Game/WeatherManager.cs
@@ -327,7 +327,7 @@ namespace DaggerfallWorkshop.Game
                 shadowStrength = OvercastShadowStrength;
             }

-            shadowStrength *= Mathf.Exp(-50f * currentOutdoorFogSettings.density);
+            shadowStrength *= Mathf.Exp(-25f * currentOutdoorFogSettings.density);

// Apply scale to sunlight manager
             if (SunlightManager)
it gives this:
fog shadows.jpg
fog shadows.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
It's not too bad, but they don't have the fuzziness you'd expect from very scattered light...
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Id not aim at super realistic here... I like the hint of shadows giving additional detail and depth.

Strictly speaking... if the light was scattered the way u simulate with shadows off, than the roofs shading would deffo not be so different on various sides of the roof as well :) one side is bright, other is much darker.

Its up to you ofc.

Ppl dont really notice these things. Im quite sure its you and me who know this setting has changed, maybe handful more :)

I agree - full shadows were too much
But zero shadows is IMO too extreme.

Just my opinion.

Its not always abou realism, but also the looks. I somehow miss those misty shadows..

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Processing the magic weapons..
EDIT: Done, another 2000+ files to the collection :) Total for weapons is now 5130 files..
Im creating the DFMOD and will test it some more

...AAAAAaaand there are bugs :D
For example this axe.. one of the attacks is not scaled to fullscreen and it has its left border few CM before the end of the screen...
BUG.jpg
BUG.jpg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:41 pm Strictly speaking... if the light was scattered the way u simulate with shadows off, than the roofs shading would deffo not be so different on various sides of the roof as well :) one side is bright, other is much darker.
Yeah, cast shadows are off, but other shadows are even more off it seems. I saw that while doing this screenshot, too.
I'm not even sure how those are controlled :?
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm
King of Worms wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:41 pm Strictly speaking... if the light was scattered the way u simulate with shadows off, than the roofs shading would deffo not be so different on various sides of the roof as well :) one side is bright, other is much darker.
Yeah, cast shadows are off, but other shadows are even more off it seems. I saw that while doing this screenshot, too.
I'm not even sure how those are controlled :?
Thats the nature of diving deeper to anything :) No worries mate, its good as it is, yes it can be improved ofc..

Plus I remeber Interkarma said (and posted screens as a proof of concept) that he might change the light to something called - if I remember right - RGB. It made more realistic light inside the entrance to the Scourg Barrow... that might help the cause as well.

But now I dont see it on the roadmap?

I hope he did not forget about it

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Did a tad more work. I felt a few items in particular were quite lacking.
Spoiler!

I also did the gauntlets.

Will probably sit on this for a while until the paperdoll bugs are fixed, then upload all my work fresh then for an update.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

So... who is gonna sum up and report the bugs?

I really cant afford to spread myself over to this part of mod too much, I already feel exhausted and I need to just pack this stuff up and call it a quit for a while, Im sorry, but this was a long road to go and I just need the pause. Ive finished the wepons. Now I should test em which is impossible, because I dont have console commands to spawn the weapons or anything I found a bug as soon as I start the game and test few wepons I had... so god knows how many are waiting there..

:roll:

I think I will just diaspear for a while, this has no end

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am So... who is gonna sum up and report the bugs?

I really cant afford to spread myself over to this part of mod too much, I already feel exhausted and I need to just pack this stuff up and call it a quit for a while, Im sorry, but this was a long road to go and I just need the pause. Ive finished the wepons. Now I should test em which is impossible, because I dont have console commands to spawn the weapons or anything I found a bug as soon as I start the game and test few wepons I had... so god knows how many are waiting there..

:roll:

I think I will just diaspear for a while, this has no end
I suppose I'm just hoping someone reads this thread that fixes things, like TheLacus. I certainly don't want to bother Interkarma, who told me personally, and the rest of the world openly that he was too busy.

If that doesn't happen, I'll compile it all together n submit something.