KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

Is there something to not like about this?
Not on my side, it looks great, and when he attacks his eyes taper a bit it look really good.

I only add red eyes to the mobs which already had them. There is like 75%+ of mobs with standard black eyes, and there are these with red ones. And every MOB with red eyes looks really good when its made emissive.

Its basically undeads and some vermin. Plus imp and the werebeasts.

I will keep this bat, it looks really good in the movement.
01.jpg
01.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

AmmoniumDichromate wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:08 am
King of Worms wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 am So thats the reason :X Thank you for testing it!!!

I think this is a known "feature" unfortunatelly, thats why Pango who is on Linux was not able to solve that, so we rediscovered what was already known it seems :shock:

I think it would be worth a while to sum it up in a report either in Help & Support or Modder discussion. Maybe someone will see it and try to improve on that.

Can I please ask you to do that report? Im quite busy with other DFU related stuff
I believe I've confirmed some of my suspicions regarding certain aspects of the DFUnity code. I briefly dug through the Github and I found these lines in the VideoReplacement.cs script:

Code: Select all

// Remove VID extension
                int index = name.LastIndexOf(".VID");
                if (index > 0)
                    name = name.Substring(0, index);

// Seek from loose files
                string path = Path.Combine(moviePath, name + ".mp4");
                if (File.Exists(path))
                {
                    videoPlayerDrawer = new VideoPlayerDrawer(path);
                    return true;
                }

To me this looks like the only barrier preventing Daggerfall Unity from using other video file format, though I don't know Unity well enough to be absolutely certain. I believe changing the ".mp4" segment to another file extension would sort of fix this, but of course then DFUnity would then be restricted to whatever file extension chosen as the replacement.
I think this could be easily rewritten to be more inclusive towards all compatible video formats perhaps with the use of a variable containing an index of all compatible file extensions, or suboptimally a big ol' sloppy if else conditional statement.

I'll try and make the changes myself and propose the changes on Github, but I am pretty terrible at C Sharp and also dont have the means to easily test my changes at the moment, so I'll probably just end up filing an issue report requesting the script be adjusted.
There are two options:
- We use a different format only for Linux.
- We use a different format for both platforms and mp4 support is deprecated and eventually removed.

I'm against an "horizontal load order" where you can have multiple files in a folder and don't know which one is used because it depends on an arbitrary format priority.

Note that you should already be able to inject custom videos for all platform if you make a dfmod.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Note that you should already be able to inject custom videos for all platform if you make a dfmod.
Well it does not work for Linux. It works for Windows and OSx only...

Is transcoding required specifically for Linux?
Because I dont use that.
If so, than what codec to use? H264 or VP8?

Thank you!
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

2nd thing is I cant make the Icons in a DFMOD work

I created the assets/spellicons folder
moved the png and json there

selected the files, made a dfmod

when I open spellmaker it freezes

in log there is this repeated many times:
Spoiler!
DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory 'C:/GAMES Install/Daggerfall/DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets\SpellIcons' not found.
at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.SpellIconCollection.LoadSpellIconPacks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.SpellIconCollection..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.get_SpellIconCollection () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallSpellMakerWindow.SetIcon (SpellIcon icon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallSpellMakerWindow.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallBaseWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

heres how it looks in inspector
icons.jpg
icons.jpg (232.95 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

EDIT:

so I created the Spellicons folder in the streaming assets.

Now it doesnt freeze. But there are only classic icons visible to choose from :X

AmmoniumDichromate

Post by AmmoniumDichromate »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 am I'm against an "horizontal load order" where you can have multiple files in a folder and don't know which one is used because it depends on an arbitrary format priority.

I'm not against this notion, especially if it is well documented, unless it of course significantly hampers the performance or something.
I think this'd only become an issue if two files had the same name but different extensions. If it's simply video files dropped in by a user they themselves could easily correct DFUs arbitrary load priority by deleting the undesired video file from their movies directory. If this were an issue with conflicting files spanning several dfmods, than perhaps the user's mod load order could be used to determine which video file takes priority over the other.
The fact that Linux can't handle custom videos without being packed into a dfmod is certainly an issue, not a massive one ultimately, but an issue nonetheless.

I'm a pretty darn terrible programmer, and hadn't touched Unity ever until a few days ago, so you should definitely take my advice and opinions on this matter with a grain of salt. I dunno, just seems that DFUnity in its current state has some niggling minor issues when it comes to multiplaform support, and since I'm quite fond of Linux and Daggerfall I'd like to help iron out these issues if I am at all capable of doing so.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

AmmoniumDichromate wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:04 pm
TheLacus wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 am I'm against an "horizontal load order" where you can have multiple files in a folder and don't know which one is used because it depends on an arbitrary format priority.

I'm not against this notion, especially if it is well documented, unless it of course significantly hampers the performance or something.
I think this'd only become an issue if two files had the same name but different extensions. If it's simply video files dropped in by a user they themselves could easily correct DFUs arbitrary load priority by deleting the undesired video file from their movies directory. If this were an issue with conflicting files spanning several dfmods, than perhaps the user's mod load order could be used to determine which video file takes priority over the other.
The fact that Linux can't handle custom videos without being packed into a dfmod is certainly an issue, not a massive one ultimately, but an issue nonetheless.

I'm a pretty darn terrible programmer, and hadn't touched Unity ever until a few days ago, so you should definitely take my advice and opinions on this matter with a grain of salt. I dunno, just seems that DFUnity in its current state has some niggling minor issues when it comes to multiplaform support, and since I'm quite fond of Linux and Daggerfall I'd like to help iron out these issues if I am at all capable of doing so.
My previous comment wasn't meant to be dismissive, i wanted to bring you on the right track :)

Supporting multiple formats is a minor convenience for mod authors and big disservice for players. Installing mods with a given order is a very simple thing to do, especially with mod managers like Vortex. If i install a mod that changes all textures and then a smaller texture pack only for marble, i don't want to check if specific textures are png or tga or whatever else and manually remove files to achieve what should just work. The same is true for videos and any other assets. I already had to something similar to support both midi and digital sounds, i don't want to do it even for videos unless is strictly necessary.

If you want you can try to replace extension in code from mp4 to ogv or webm and test if it works fine. If it does i'll accept a pull request to support new format on Linux using #if #else compiler directives. At a later time we can consider to bring this change also to Windows and Osx. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Took me a while to make em all stand still, look into the camera and not kill me or each other :twisted:
Im thinking about making the ghost eyes either white or light blue, and maybe darken the skeleton eyes a bit
emissive mobs.jpg
emissive mobs.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm Took me a while to make em all stand still, look into the camera and not kill me or each other :twisted:
Im thinking about making the ghost eyes either white or light blue, and maybe darken the skeleton eyes a bit

emissive mobs.jpg
Looks great! ;)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 pm
Well it does not work for Linux. It works for Windows and OSx only...

Is transcoding required specifically for Linux?
Because I dont use that.
If so, than what codec to use? H264 or VP8?

Thank you!

aaa.jpg
You need to use a format suitable for Linux, meaning that you can let Unity do it with transcoding or provide it by yourself for Linux version.
Videos provided as loose files are expected to use .mp4 extension but you don't even have that restriction with mods.

This is what Unity suggests:
For most plaftforms, H.264 (typically in a .mp4, .m4v, or .mov format) is the optimal supported video codec because it offers the best cross-platform compatibility. Linux is the notable exception.

For Linux, the optimal encoding is usually a .webm container with video tracks encoded using the VP8 codec, and audio encoded using the Vorbis codec.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank u.

Linux users need to solve this problem. Im done with this cross platform stuff.

Im abandoning these technicalities, I will do only creative part of project.

These vids are on my HDD. If anyone is up to make it work on linux, I provide the vids